After riding Brahma home on Sunday, the bike did well all the way with zero bucking or surging. The idle was not high enough to sustain combustion though unless I held a slight amount of pressure on the grip. Yesterday I went to reset the idle screw seen in Warps picture above the yellow box and found it was adjusted as far as it could go. So, as a temporary fix until another steppe motor arrives, I put some medical tape on the flat piece the idle screw hit to give enough thickness to keep the idle up. It has worked so far.
I have noticed a difference in cold idle verses hot idle on the trip home. Cold idle was fine as adjusted, but hot idle was not.

At least on my r3 I think the problem is in the "adaptive" part of the ECU. Mine will works fine for a couple of months, then it's starts out taking a slightly longer time to come back to idle. That continues to get worse until it starts causing problems with low speed cornering. That's when I reload the tune and reset the adaptives. Then everything is fine again. Not sure if I even need to reload the tune. Maybe next time I'll try just reseting the adaptives. I'm thinking because I'm running a custom tune, and have the O2 sensor turned off, the ECU is trying to correct what it thinks is a problem.

What tune Fred?

At least on my r3 I think the problem is in the "adaptive" part of the ECU. Mine will works fine for a couple of months, then it's starts out taking a slightly longer time to come back to idle. That continues to get worse until it starts causing problems with low speed cornering. That's when I reload the tune and reset the adaptives. Then everything is fine again. Not sure if I even need to reload the tune. Maybe next time I'll try just reseting the adaptives. I'm thinking because I'm running a custom tune, and have the O2 sensor turned off, the ECU is trying to correct what it thinks is a problem.
That's may be my situation as well maybe I'll just reset the adaptives and see if that straightens things out.

It's a tune I got years ago from the late Blastedbones (RIP mate). At the time he was running the same intake and exhaust as me so I used his tune. It works great with the small K&N air filters and Maddog exhaust. Seems to work OK with tors also.
That's the same tune I am running Fred. It works well. I don't have any problems and haven't touched it in years. (famous last words!!!)

It's a tune I got years ago from the late Blastedbones (RIP mate). At the time he was running the same intake and exhaust as me so I used his tune. It works great with the small K&N air filters and Maddog exhaust. Seems to work OK with tors also.

Oh heck, I knew that - just forgot - getting old :(

That's the same tune I am running Fred. It works well. I don't have any problems and haven't touched it in years. (famous last words!!!)
FFS.....Out for a ride with some mates this weekend and crossing an intersection the rear of the bike jumped a couple of inches and I saw something black shatter across the road in my mirror. Immediately after the throttle started to hang up. Roll off the gas and no slow down. I stopped and checked the bike over and could find nothing wrong. One of the guys ran up and said I ran over my cell phone but it was safely in my pocket. It did settle down a bit but not 100% trustworthy. I'm still on the original TPS but I've had a spare with the blue inside so maybe time to install it.

FFS.....Out for a ride with some mates this weekend and crossing an intersection the rear of the bike jumped a couple of inches and I saw something black shatter across the road in my mirror. Immediately after the throttle started to hang up. Roll off the gas and no slow down. I stopped and checked the bike over and could find nothing wrong. One of the guys ran up and said I ran over my cell phone but it was safely in my pocket. It did settle down a bit but not 100% trustworthy. I'm still on the original TPS but I've had a spare with the blue inside so maybe time to install it.

Yup, that's surely what it sounds like :(

Back