ksquared

"O Captain, My Captain"
Ride
2008 Red/Black R3T
OK.

My OEM Battery on my 09 R3T is still working OK, but I have no desire to be stranded one day when it goes belly up, so I'm looking to prophylactically replace it.

I have focused on the Scorpion YTX20HL-BS (YTX20HL-BS Scorpion 12 Volt Powersport Battery) but have recently become intrigued by the Shorai LFX24L3-BS12 (ShoraiUsa - LFX24L3-BS12). The most amazing thing is the weight reduction for the Shorai, from 14.3 pounds to 3.97 pounds. The Shorai claims 360 CCA, while the Scorpion claims 310 CCA.

Has anyone used either of these? Will either or both fit the R3T (the Shorai website lists it for the R3, but no separate mention of the R3T)?

Of course, the price difference is RIDICULOUS (88.00 shipped for the Scorpion v. $249.93 for the Shorai), does anyone think it's justified for the higher CCA rating and lighter weight? I live in a warm climate (Sunny South Florida), so cold starts do not concern me. I rarely (but occasionally) have to start the bike in temps below 60 degrees.

Please let me have your opinions. Also, if anyone thinks there is a better solution for the R3T besides these two, please clue me in.

Thanks!

(PS I saw in a searched thread that Wayne (Power-Tripp) was a Shorai dealer. If he sees this, and can respond, I'd consider it a favor, as well as probably gospel. Thanks.)

Back