R3T Larger Lowers & Pattern

As an update to this post, I ordered 2 sets to verify everyhing on the pattern. I'll post some pictures to show the original and the larger size and then see what kind of interest there is. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money just to have them laying around in case people wanted to buy them. I figured out they will fit in a 14 X 9 1/2 priority bubble wrap flat rate envelope that I can ship for $7.25. Factoring in all my costs I'm still at that $45 to $50 number for a set. I'll keep ya posted...

I'm in Paul. When you get it sorted out, I'd like them shipped un-drilled.

I'm in Paul. When you get it sorted out, I'd like them shipped un-drilled.

That could be done, but it would require a different pattern without the holes (which is easy to do) and quote from the company. It would have to be a different special order. I figured most people wouldn't have a lot of luck drilling their own holes.

Drilling on plexiglass or lexan is tricky business. I tackled it only because I used a drill press and a new bit! And went in to it with no concept of failure!

Have you decided which lowers look best? I'm interested in getting a set. Hoping to alleviate the wind tunnel that comes up and blasts me...

Have you decided which lowers look best? I'm interested in getting a set. Hoping to alleviate the wind tunnel that comes up and blasts me...

I've ordered a couple sets made of the first version I posted. The second even larger version may hit the radiator shroud. I think I may have the first two sets spoken for. They do help, but still get some of the wind tunnel effect you talk about. They add a little warmth for cooler temps, but not as effective as my hand wind deflectors. I am reluctant try to design anything too big that might break (if they are too long) or affect the handling of the bike at highway speed. I only decided to have some made because I saw where some members talked about wanting something bigger. When the weather gets better I am going to make a wooden pattern of the slightly larger version and see if my cutaways clear the shroud properly. Right now my set as shown runs just fine, but I switch back to the stock size in the heat of summer. Too warm for me.

Edit: Looking back I guess I didn't post this comparison picture before. Here are mine on the bike with one picture showing the originals held on for comparison.

Attachments

• 20180222_124417.jpg
    20180222_124417.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180222_124333.jpg
    20180222_124333.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I backed out of the shop today and now know what your concern is. I had my wheel all the way to the right in the stops and the stock deflectors were very close to the radiator shrouds. Hmmmm.

I'd love to have the extra wind protection but I'm not sure how we could do it.

Back