R3 Supercharger update.

From the base USA Rocket R tune to new tune, what are the HP and TQ gains? I saw what they were for a TFC. But what about stock R with OEM pipe?

I am not convinced that it is as easy as loading a TuneECU map, tweaked for a naturally aspirated ECU, for a supercharged motor. Even while initially setting up to tune it on a dyno, you need a pretty good basis to prevent it from running too lean or advanced on boost while stressing the engine on the dyno. Big engine damage can arrive very quickly, very dramatically and very costly. I run a Trask® Turbo on a 106 Victory Hammer - stock compression, mild Lloydz® cams and only 8 psi boost max. The Victory ECU can be tuned using DynoJet® PVCX, similar to how TuneECU is used on Triumphs, KTMs and Ducati's. Instead, I run the stock ECU with a DynoJet® PC5 fueler (piggyback). And the PC5 uses neither Autotune nor wideband O2 sensors - it reads a TBS (Turbo Boost Sensor). I have zero experience with superchargers, but I would imagine that a boost sensor would come into play as a minimum.

I am not convinced that it is as easy as loading a TuneECU map, tweaked for a naturally aspirated ECU, for a supercharged motor. Even while initially setting up to tune it on a dyno, you need a pretty good basis to prevent it from running too lean or advanced on boost while stressing the engine on the dyno. Big engine damage can arrive very quickly, very dramatically and very costly. I run a Trask® Turbo on a 106 Victory Hammer - stock compression, mild Lloydz® cams and only 8 psi boost max. The Victory ECU can be tuned using DynoJet® PVCX, similar to how TuneECU is used on Triumphs, KTMs and Ducati's. Instead, I run the stock ECU with a DynoJet® PC5 fueler (piggyback). And the PC5 uses neither Autotune nor wideband O2 sensors - it reads a TBS (Turbo Boost Sensor). I have zero experience with superchargers, but I would imagine that a boost sensor would come into play as a minimum.
Boost comes up with revs. The same every time. It’s very easy to map more fuel with more revs with more throttle angle. Start with safe ignition timing. I’ve mapped 100’s of bikes and cars. It’s easier than na and particularly turbo’s.

Boost comes up with revs. The same every time. It’s very easy to map more fuel with more revs with more throttle angle. Start with safe ignition timing. I’ve mapped 100’s of bikes and cars. It’s easier than na and particularly turbo’s.
I fully support that. I have owned a couple of blown ones, also a literally blown one. It is when boost enters the picture that things change somewhat. The stock ECU relies substantially on the MAP sensor. that responds to and reports negative manifold pressure - the charge effectively being sucked in. Manifold pressure turns positive upon boost, even earlier on a supercharger than a turbocharger - the charge is now being forced in. Modern ECUs, like the Keihin® used by Triumph, adapts all the time, based on what their engine sensors tell them. A Kawasaki H2 ECU knows full well how to respond upon boost. The Triumph R3's does not. The few tables that we see in TuneECU and at Penner's disposal are a fraction of what is accessed by the ECU. Here is the menu on DynoJet®'s Powercore C3 reading a Stage 2 map for an Indian Thunderstroke - all those tabs expand into additional, often multiple, tables.

1615083111493.png

There might well be something in the R3 ECU that can be configured to accommodate boost, but we cannot see it on the generic (poor and dated) TunerECU offering. And it will most likely require a BPS (Boost Pressure Sensor - the equivalent of a Turbo TBS).

I would expect to see a BPS or speciality aftermarket MAP sensor, and either proper mapping software for the Keihin® ECU, duly configured, or a tweaked piggyback fueler (preferably Power Commander 5), included in the deal when I pull out a substantial wad of dough on a blower for my R3. And I would not be reading this thread had I not been interested.

Last edited:
I fully support that. I have owned a couple of blown ones, also a literally blown one. It is when boost enters the picture that things change somewhat. The stock ECU relies substantially on the MAP sensor. that responds to and reports negative manifold pressure - the charge effectively being sucked in. Manifold pressure turns positive upon boost, even earlier on a supercharger than a turbocharger - the charge is now being forced in. Modern ECUs, like the Keihin® used by Triumph, adapts all the time, based on what their engine sensors tell them. A Kawasaki H2 ECU knows full well how to respond upon boost. The Triumph R3's does not. The few tables that we see in TuneECU and at Penner's disposal are a fraction of what is accessed by the ECU. Here is the menu on DynoJet®'s Powercore C3 reading a Stage 2 map for an Indian Thunderstroke - all those tabs expand into additional, often multiple, tables.

1615083111493.png

There might well be something in the R3 ECU that can be configured to accommodate boost, but we cannot see it on the generic (poor and dated) TunerECU offering. And it will most likely require a BPS (Boost Pressure Sensor - the equivalent of a Turbo TBS).

I would expect to see a BPS or speciality aftermarket MAP sensor, and either proper mapping software for the Keihin® ECU, duly configured, or a tweaked piggyback fueler (preferably Power Commander 5), included in the deal when I pull out a substantial wad of dough on a blower for my R3. And I would not be reading this thread had I not been interested.
Mapping the new production supercharger will only happen when it’s made. I hope I can surmount any problems with using the TuneEcu.

Back