R handlebars on GT

Thanks for the ideas. It seems that the brake and clutch hoses can only be bought as part of the handlebar fitting kit, so I will have to buy all new parts, at least this way I cannot be held responsible if anything is missing or wrong.
Maybe in the bodywork/trim piece just above the headlights??
Would probably need a slot cutting in the bottom half of the trim unit for the trail of wires to fit through.
(I'm only brainstorming, as i've not checked any of that out. Just from rough memory)
There is no space under there

Hello Sandybandy,
I don't unfortunately have any answers to your specific questions, but i'm very much interested to hear if there are any answers forthcoming here, so i'm subscribing to your thread.

I agree with MightyMouse's recommendation.
I'm not convinced that there is a black or white solution even though Triumph market the two models with nothing in between or an option to specifiy the ergonomic set-up on either models from new.
The solution lies in the individual riders shape & size, physique/posture & riding style etc...
With this in mind, I also recommend that you take things in stages.
I didn't really enjoy the feet forward set-up for a number or reasons so have opted for the mid controls but the 'R' bars are definitely not for me so i've got the touring bars and that feels like an acceptable halfway house. Definitely worth a try IMHO.

My ideal set up would be the mid mounts with a set of handlebars halfway between the 'R' and the 'GT'..........If someone out there fancy's producing them, i'm planning to be at the front of the queue....They will need all the GT electrical features built-in though.

...forgot to mention that I have both the 'R' & 'GT' seat and I much prefer the comfort of the GT seat compared to the R despite the higher R seat offering more space for my leg length.
Ergonomics is a complicated thing. I should know, I design vehicle interiors for a living among other things.
Hello Sandybandy,
I don't unfortunately have any answers to your specific questions, but i'm very much interested to hear if there are any answers forthcoming here, so i'm subscribing to your thread.

I agree with MightyMouse's recommendation.
I'm not convinced that there is a black or white solution even though Triumph market the two models with nothing in between or an option to specifiy the ergonomic set-up on either models from new.
The solution lies in the individual riders shape & size, physique/posture & riding style etc...
With this in mind, I also recommend that you take things in stages.
I didn't really enjoy the feet forward set-up for a number or reasons so have opted for the mid controls but the 'R' bars are definitely not for me so i've got the touring bars and that feels like an acceptable halfway house. Definitely worth a try IMHO.

My ideal set up would be the mid mounts with a set of handlebars halfway between the 'R' and the 'GT'..........If someone out there fancy's producing them, i'm planning to be at the front of the queue....They will need all the GT electrical features built-in though.

...forgot to mention that I have both the 'R' & 'GT' seat and I much prefer the comfort of the GT seat compared to the R despite the higher R seat offering more space for my leg length.
Ergonomics is a complicated thing. I should know, I design vehicle interiors for a living among other things.
If you're looking for handlebars midway between the R and the GT bars just have someone make them for you. A set of one off custom bars shouldn't set you back all that much!!! While your at it have them done in chromemoly which would be stronger and maybe even lighter that way youve got now.

If you're looking for handlebars midway between the R and the GT bars just have someone make them for you. A set of one off custom bars shouldn't set you back all that much!!! While your at it have them done in chromemoly which would be stronger and maybe even lighter that way youve got now.
I have had handlebars made to my design before on other bikes in the past and I might decide to go that route at some point, but i'm not driven enough to spend the time and money at this stage.
I have also been considering doing a cut and shut on the stock touring bars because I think that they could give me the geometry I would ideally like just by taking an inch or two out of the rise/height.
The cut out area would be in the large diameter zone of the bars, so the cut and shut can accommodate a sleeve inside the tube in order to ensure structural integrity.
That solution will be less costly than making new bars from scratch....but more committing obviously.

Flanders Handlebars has every handlebar you could want.

Back