Quick question about the bearclaw

liquidsmile

Supercharged
On the backside of the bearclaw there is a T. Does this T go behind the bracket on the gas tank? I have the triple k&ns and am having trouble getting it to seat right.

Thanks.

How do you fit the BC over 3xK&Ns mounted on an R3T? On that model, there is no rear bolt - only a post/grommet fixture (same in the middle). The only bolt is at the front, so there's no place to add washers at the rear.

I have emailed both K&N and Unifilter about how to fit their filters under the R3 Touring BC. Neither was helpful, as they are limited in what they can say about non-O.E.M. applications.

Have any of you Touring guys done 3 x K&N's and been able to fit the BC back into position? The only solution I'm able to gather is to cut the BC up and I'd rather not.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the backside of the bearclaw there is a T. Does this T go behind the bracket on the gas tank? I have the triple k&ns and am having trouble getting it to seat right.

Thanks.

There should be a couple of slots in the top face of that T, in the rubber. Those slots( female receptors) fit the 2 tabs pointing downwards (male fitments) that are welded to that side of the tank.

I find the easiest way to refit the claw, is to loosely fit the frount bolt first, then mate the tank tabs in place, then push the back of the claw til you can fit the back bolt. Tighten everything up with a little upward pressure to prevent that rubber 'T' section moving.Adding a few washers, or easier still I found a single nut works, to the back fitment; brings the claw out a bit & more breathing space.

Thanks for all the replies. I too hate the T thing on the claw. When I get back from Daytona I am going to fit the half carbon fiber model on mine.

How do you fit the BC over 3xK&Ns mounted on an R3T? On that model, there is no rear bolt - only a post/grommet fixture (same in the middle). The only bolt is at the front, so there's no place to add washers at the rear.

I have emailed both K&N and Unifilter about how to fit their filters under the R3 Touring BC. Neither was helpful, as they are limited in what they can say about non-O.E.M. applications.

Have any of you Touring guys done 3 x K&N's and been able to fit the BC back into position? The only solution I'm able to gather is to cut the BC up and I'd rather not.

One way to make it fit is to make a small spacer, basically a piece of metal with two adjacent holes. Remove the rubber grommet and place it in one of the holes on the spacer and bolt the other hole on the spacer to the post using the hole from which you removed the grommet. This will move the rear of the bearclaw out about 1/4 inch to allow it to clear the rear filter. Of course it leaves a rather unsightly gap between the bearclaw and the tank. I do believe you can actually get the bearclaw to fit without that but it will cause the rear filter to deform a bit. You do have to rotate that rear filter in either case. I ended up cutting mine down as I didn't like options of deformed filter or an ugly gap.

Thanks, Harry. I shoulda known you'd have done this mod.

I keep thinking that another filter option will come along that will fit better and do just as good a job as the K&Ns. So far, inquiries to K&N are fruitless, as they are limited (spelled "silent") as to what they can say about non-stock applications. I also asked Unifilter what they had and ended up corresponding to a guy who sounded like he just landed on the planet. No help. I also think their applications are limited to a cut BC since their filters are taller.

A couple of questions for you: Did you run with a stock replacement K&N before you did the triple mod? If yes, how much h.p. increase did you get by just going to the triples from the stock replacement?

There's no appreciable gain going to a stock K&N cartridge filter. Going triple & tuning will give around 10 hp; but more significant is the increased torque spread available. You DO need the right tune/get dyno tune to get the best out of them tho.

A couple of questions for you: Did you run with a stock replacement K&N before you did the triple mod? If yes, how much h.p. increase did you get by just going to the triples from the stock replacement?

Difficult to say. I got the drop K&N along with the D&Ds in a package deal. When I switched to the triple filters I also installed the Jardines and new tune so the jump in power was quite dramatic. I dare say just removing the snorkel from the bottom of the seat will give you as much of a boost in power as adding the drop in K&N, which is to say a little bit maybe, but probably not enough to really notice.

Back