question-->who pays for their oil changes

ok pulled the plug on some 300v is that firm changing it at 5000kms/3000 miles or can you add another 1k?
The 300v is for high performance engines and is usually changed in track bikes every two race meetings. I change this at 5000klms on @Neville Lush recomendations and I also believe you will not hurt any thing by over lubrication (shorter intervals)

I kind of like Mobil 4t myself. Maybe not the latest and greatest. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. Maybe a overkill. No problems with shifting or anything else. At 30,000 miles the bike shifts better now than when new. Kind of convenient to ride into town and stop in the local auto store and buy six quarts of 10/40 and a wix filter. The only problem I have is checking the oil level. The oil is so clear it is hard to see at times.

I used to do ALL motor vehicle work myself; however, as my work/volunteer/RiderCoach life got busier I had a choice of spending more time in the garage or more time on the road... I went for the road. Now I pick and choose...and I'm hoping things slow down a bit more over the next year (got moved to Barksdale AFB) or so and I can go back to doing more things myself.
-MIG

ok- so let it drain for about 2.5 hours just got back from autoparts (845 cst. they close at 9)to drain the almost 6 quarts of very black oil(definitely do this before attempting to dump the new oil in as you may see a couple of crush washers in oil pan). To those new riders thinking about just doing it yourself a word to the wise if you have a lift go ahead and do it if not just pay for the service every time i change my oil I remind myself again to just pay to get it done

I agree Lemieuxfan, if you have the extra cash, you have no time, you trust unconditionally the mechanic will put in the oil you want and/or expect and he/she will change the filter, and you know that they will drain every last drop of old oil, even though they have other bikes waiting to be dealt with, pay for it. If not, it is the easiest maintenance job you could do on your bike and will /could lead into you doing a lot more work on your beloved Rocket. Every man / woman to their own. Just be happy with your decision

I pay for the messy jobs, like oil changes. It's not that they're technically difficult, but I just can't be bothered hauling around all that oil, then hauling it back to recycling, etc. It's laziness as much as anything else, doesn't take a genius to put a pan under the bike, undo a few bolts and watch the oil drain... :)

I trust the local shop implicitly, the guys working there ride, and do serious **** like rebuilding engines etc as well as bike maintenance. It's worth the money to me. Plus, if and when I need them for some more serious work, I want them to still be in business, so paying them for routine service seems like an idea.

I pay for the messy jobs, like oil changes. It's not that they're technically difficult, but I just can't be bothered hauling around all that oil, then hauling it back to recycling, etc. It's laziness as much as anything else, doesn't take a genius to put a pan under the bike, undo a few bolts and watch the oil drain... :)

I trust the local shop implicitly, the guys working there ride, and do serious **** like rebuilding engines etc as well as bike maintenance. It's worth the money to me. Plus, if and when I need them for some more serious work, I want them to still be in business, so paying them for routine service seems like an idea.

i agree- hauling around the oil and no matter how much you prep there will be oil drops spilled here and there and even with gloves you get it on your hands etc. Just pay to get it done folks give them the oil if you don't feel the synthetic castrol is worthy for your rocket

I actually enjoy changing my own oil. A few drops of oil on the front pourch gives the wife the pleasure of #ithcing at me. Happy with that. Like we mentioned on a previous post, the oil is a tattle tell on how well your motor is operating. Recently changed the three lubes on the Harley and found metal shavings in the transmission fluid. Investigated and found a shot bearing. Replaced it and good to go. Easy fix. Now if i had taken the bike to a shop they would have properly never even looked at the drained fluid. As it was i was only out about a hundred dollars,much cheaper than if the bearing had failed during operation. To each his own.

question to the group; i poured about 5 quarts of oil in the rocket and checked it level (haven't started it) and looks like i got too much in reservoir- will running it a little lower the level to other parts of the bike?

Back