Putting it away for the winter

TriumphR3Newb

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
Sad but true, it it time for me here in Canada to put my R3 away for the winter. Unfortunately it won't be garaged like my previous bikes. Any "make sure you..." suggestions before the snow flies here and the temp drops like crazy. I do have a center stand which I can put back on and use that, or I can use my motorcycle jack instead of using my kick stand. I have topped off the tank and put fuel stabilizer in. I am not sure if I should pull the battery of just use the trickle charger that is already on my bike and just plug it in. Will my battery freeze while it is on the trickle charger? I need a house with a garage!!!

Any old trickle charger won't do. It needs to be a battery maintainer, similar to Battery Tender or Optimate, and some others. But otherwise you are on the ball. Do cover the bike, and park it on hard surface if possible. Start the bike twice a month and run it up to full operating temperature. That will keep the fuel treatment all spread around and working good...Plus it'll make the bike feel like it hasn't been ignored for four months! Or more...depending on what winter brings this time around. You can put it on the stand if you are worried about the tires flatspotting, but do check pressures when time to ride. Being off the ground won't keep them from losing a significant bit of air. Oh the battery should not freeze while on the maintainer, but Canada cold is a cold that us in the states would not soon forget....I would check it after real cold spells just to be sure. It won't hurt to pull the battery, and bring it and maintainer inside. But do hook it up and keep it connected.

Last edited:
I used to have to go through the same process when I lived in northern Alberta. I pulled my battery and had it on a proper charger for the entire 6 months. I’m still riding here in the Fraser Valley but my days are numbered.. probably two to three weeks of good riding then they get put away. Much shorter term here as I’ll be riding again in February.

Little advice don’t cover the beast till the bike is the same temperature as outside that way no condensation will form under the cover.

They work OK. While in the Navy and facing a six month med cruise I would go down to the local storage place and rent a space. Much better than leaving outside even covered up. :):):):):):):):)

Down here in south Florida its just the opposite. The weather is now just starting to cool down to the point that I can ride ATGATT without being soaked either from sweat,rain or both. We get 6-7 months of great riding here, then we are toast...literally!

Pardon my ignorance Randy, but what is ATGATT ? I've seen this a few times and not known.

Back