Project Build Using a Rocket Engine

scootz

.020 Over
Afternoon!

I'm a newbie and desperately in need of some input from you old-timers regarding my project.

http://www.r3owners.net/introduce-yourself/15046-new-member-project-builder.html#post187027

The finished weight of my trike should be around the same as the Rocket bike (the carbon tub weighs the square-root of bugger all :)).

I plan to run the engine on an aftermarket ECU such as a DTA, MBE or Omex, and I have absolutely no packaging restriction for when it comes to intake or exhaust! :)

So I guess my first Q is... has anyone developed a properly tuned equal-length 3-into-1 header?

Cheers

Scotty

Some other things that I've been thinking...

I'm not sure what model of engine I have... all I know is it's a 2006. Is there a possibility this could be one of the Touring engines at this age? If so, was the 'de-tune' purely achieved via the electronics, or was there physical differences between the engines?

Are there are any physical differences between the Touring swing-arm and the other models? I only ask as I want to run as wide a rear tyre as I possibly can.

Speaking of wide tyres... has anyone experimented with going above the 240 width? If so, could you tell me please what you tried and how you got on? On a similar note, is there any manufacturer of wider wheels for the Rocket? I see BST do a 9.5" carbon wheel, but it costs more than my engine did! :eek:

Thanks in advance! :)

mine hasn't been on a dyno with this exhaust,
but it is equal length and sounds ok.
of course, I wasn't looking for ultimate HP,
just optimal sound, and the 2.5" open drags
sure are that...

of course, if I wanted better performance,
(more torque) I'd add some big city baffles.

Thanks for that.

It's difficult to see in the photo, but are there any link pipes between your primaries or is each exhaust 'straight through'?

The Touring model didn't show up until 2008. Not that it matters because they all are the same physically. Is yours silver or black? I ask because the black on is faster. :p

You should contact Warp9.9 (Scott) regarding performance mods including forced air inductions.

Another person that hasn't been on the board awhile is Hombre (Walt) who has some experience with alternative ECUs.

Scootz is that a body kit you can buy?

I have been wondering what I was going to do next adn this sounds like fun. about 540rwhp worth of fun:D

Hi Warp

The trike I pictured is a Scorpion Motorsports machine. Their frames are made from tubular steel. They are based in the US and this is their website...

Scorpion Motorsports | Three Wheel Motorcycle | 3 Wheeler | Miami, FL | Faster than Campagna T-Rex | Faster than Ariel Atom

I'm using the front-end from a Dallara Formula 3 racing car (carbon-fibre monocoque). Mine dates from the 1995-1997 seasons and interestingly enough (if you're a geek like me), it was campaigned by Christian Horner who's now the Team Principal of the Red Bull F1 team.

It cost someone around £50k back in the day :eek: (near enough $100k in the mid 90's). I obviously only paid a fraction of that for it though as it's now very old tech in F3 circles.

Are there are any physical differences between the Touring swing-arm and the other models? I only ask as I want to run as wide a rear tyre as I possibly can.

Speaking of wide tyres... has anyone experimented with going above the 240 width? If so, could you tell me please what you tried and how you got on? On a similar note, is there any manufacturer of wider wheels for the Rocket? I see BST do a 9.5" carbon wheel, but it costs more than my engine did! :eek:

Thanks in advance! :)

The pre-Touring models and the current Roadster use a 240/50-16 rear tire. Many of us have converted to car tires. Some have gone as wide as 245/50 without rubbing. That is about the limit.

The Touring model is designed for a 180 series tire.

Back