Progressive Shocks

I lowerd mine last year to 11.5.During the winter strip down ive noticed that ive scuffed my lower exhaust on the right hand side.Ive gone back to the wilbers.Got to say it handles better with the wilbers.The forks are also dropped in the yokes so it will turn quicker.Mine hasnt left any scars on the forks and they are as low as i can get them.You can lower the forks by just undoing the bolts in the yokes this way you dony have to totally strip the front end down.I stripped mine because ive also got wilber fork springs in it.It still wont corner like a sports bike but its not bad for a cortina. :lol:

nitebell said:
How much trouble was it to lower your forks?
Really Easy.

nitebell said:
Did it leave scars where the forks were?
Nope, and I had an 05 with almost 50k on the clock that spends everyday out in the weather and is rarely washed.
nitebell said:
what advantages are there to lowering the front forks?
I didn't like the "hooptie" look of the front all jacked up and my feet could hit the deck easier.
nitebell said:
The kickstand also will cause the rocket to lean more vertical and does cause issues on surfaces that lean the wrong way also.

I never have a problem with the sidestand and my bikes rests on it on a ferry twice a day. Never seen it even come close to lifting off.

rogersau3 said:
It will not change the distance on the bags. It will only reduce the fender to wheel spacing.

It seems like it will bring bags closer to exhaust, the exhaust is attached to frame and bags are basicly attached to fender....maybe I am confused :?

Guys,
some back ground first.
i am 6'2", with long legs, 90 to 95 kg( about 200lb) in my gear and I'm 45.
I have just fitted a set of Bitubo's to the rear of my R3T. they are spring, rebound and compression adjustable. they have a nitrogen resevoir on them as well.
the Triumph mechnic took it for a run on Saturday and he couldn't believe how much of a dog it made their demo tourer bike seem like.

O.K. IMHO, I wouldn't lower the rear of a rocket, any rocket. they suffer from clearance at the best of times and to lower them is removing your get out of trouble margin. the Bitubos' have raised the rear about 15mm in real terms and it now means I can take roundabouts, mountain roads, tight corners etc at a pace and still have room to move if required. they mde that much difference to the boards( and everything else grounding out) they are replaceing everything that is marked underneath.
the taller shocks have steepened up the rake/trail figures which helps with the turning in on corners.

The standard Triumph shocks have a far heavier spring than is required. they are also extremely under damped, which is why they all bounce around so much. triumph here have said so themselves.
Once agin, IMHO, if you are going to lower your rocket, make sure that what you use is adjustable, very adjustable. If you can control your compression and rebound, then you also gain control over how much you bike moves and ultimately what touchs down when.

You vertically challenged guys may have to make mods to help with that issue, but as well as lowering it, i'd be either lifting stuff( pipes, pegs, boards etc) or narrowing stuff to give you back the cornering clearance you lost from lowering it.
Bottom line, I wouldn't buy suspension that is only spring tension adjustable. If you are going to spend the hard earned, spend it on value, not bling or advertising suck in.
tabledrain

Back