Popular Mechanics Road Test

"the wave"

Paul,

If you are like me, you almost wave to no one. They CAN'T catch me.:D

I do wave to those meeting me. Even HD riders.:(

Webmaster:
FYI:

I went on a site the other day, (pashnit.com), and they had some neat icons. I tried to cut and paste, copy and paste, but to no avail.

Really strange with the waving...When I first started riding, hardly any of the Harleys and sportbikes waved back. Now almost every sportbike waves or waves back. I'm up to about 33% waveback or initialwave with the Harleys, which I consider as big of an accomplishment as they would consider reaching 90 horsepower at the rear wheel.

Interesting

I find it interesting that HD's are loosing their trade-in value or at least it seems that way.

One of the teachers at school has a Road King and was going to trade it in on a current model year Road King at was offered 14K. His present bike has 7K well cared for miles on it and all the Scream'in pigeon stuff. He was pretty miffed. A 3 year old bike that he paid 24K for is worth 14K. What is HD coming to?

I know, what do I mean 'school'...How's about a retired truck driver becoming a Professional Instructor at a Toledo College...there is a career change.:)

Diesel dummy to teacher, still a ways to go. I'm an instructor-in-training. Lots of certifications ahead. Lots of text book work too.

Poor, Poor HD owners

About 6 months ago a visiting engineer asked If I would be interested in his 03 policemen’s special all chromed with the woks (road king) I believe. He was only asking 10K.

I guess they will just have to learn to live in the real word with the rest of us.
If it was any other bike he would only get 8K for it. I can not believe someone would buy a bike for 24K, I have a fully loaded F-150 Fx4 (no Ford Jokes) I only paid 26K for brand new.

Paul

Actually paying almost $24K is not that unrealistic as you might think, the trick is what do you get for that $24K.
My Gold Wing (2006) did not cost that much, but it rung in at $21,600 after taxes and accessories (GPS included with cruise, reverse and stereo, but chrome rotor covers, foglights, chrome lower cowling, chrome scuff covers, manual / hard copy and CD were extra, and since then I have gotten the Utopia back rest...great on trips).
The Rocket didn't come in that much lower at $20,050 with taxes and accessories. I could have saved $1,900 but didn't want the Triumph bags or the silver engine so to play I had to pay.
I ended up paying the shipping on mine as it was shipped in from Charleston, SC, that was $500, if I would have stuck with the original tourer I was thinking of buying they were going to drop the shipping as it was already at the dealership.
If I would have bought the Corbin fairing it would have been as much, maybe a little more than my Wing.
Them's the breaks.
I have nothing against your F-150 (I used to sell them in 2004 and I like Fords and Mazdas) but anyone can drive that Ford, very few can handle the Rocket.
Dennis
18 dtg!

Last edited:
...I owned a 1400 Intruder before ... Sorriest handling bike ever owned! It almost got me killed in a corner that was entered too fast....
My Intruder laid me up for many months after I cornered too fast. Though I've never regarded it as sorry handling.

Imagine what could happen to the value of our Rockets if they detune them, opting for gas mileage over performance....:) :)
Hulbert Financial Digest article "the Great Oil Hoax" speaks of $150 per barrel oil ($8/gallon gas) is on the horizon.

...Imagine what will happen to the value of our Rockets when the 11th space in the serial number changes from a 'J' to a 'T'.
Got me by the short hairs:eek: ; what is the significance with the 11th space character being a J?

Looked at the power cruiser competition in the May '07 edition. The writer mentioned that the times would have been quicker had the tests been run at an altitude closer to sea level. The tests were run at +2800 ft.

Here are some 0 - 60 & 1/4 mile times:
Rocket III: 3.66 / 11.99 @ 111
M109R: 3.89 / 12.08 @ 110.53
Night Rod: 4.26 / 12.47 @ 108.86
VTX 1800F: 4.45 / 12.9 @ 102.17
Warrior: 4.56 / 13.01 @ 100.63
Hammer S: 4.53 / 13.17 @ 99.34
Vulcan 2000 Classic: 4.98 / 13.3 @ 100.51

Some things the writer said about the Rock:
"Be warned: This is not for the novice."
"The Rocket III isn't forgiving and it doesn't coddle."
"Quickly cranking the throttle wide open in just about any gear results in an accelerative force that is downright frightening."
"...the Rocket III exudes quality, and it feels much more expensive than its price tag suggests."

The only bike beating the Rocket in any speed category was the 109 - they said it edged the Rock in the 0 - 30 by .03 of a second.
Thanks Tex for the post. I got an up close look at the M109R just recently. The 240 back tire is wider than our 240s. The lower profile I believe makes it so. It was an 18 incher.

i looked at the m109

the m 109's plastic fenders and other parts to me, seemed really cheezy. the whole bike it seems was designed by a 13 year old kid, with the headlight nacelle of the original first versions. i just got an 08 R3 classic and i've become a real fan of my rocket. i still have my 08 streetglide, but sitting in the shop next to each other, the streetglide and R3, my streetglide now seems tiny in comparison. ain't it obvious that i really like my R3? there's nothing that has that "presence" that the rocket 3 has, in my opinion. everywhere i go on it, people want to know what it is and it gets very positive reactions. i still can't believe i finally own one, i'd been lusting for one since they first came out.

Back