RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Well, happened day before yesterday on way to the weekly ride meet at local Harley dealer. First time in 50 plus years of motor-biking. Called my buddies, all 5 on Harleys...oh there is one Indian, and they rescued me with 2 gallons of gas free gratis from the Harley dealer.

Funny feeling when it happens......you are still moving forward and you feel the bike going backwards. Anyway, my new fuel sender unit needs calibration, someday, because it shows empty and light comes on when there is about 3 gallons left. So, when I keep riding off and on and lose track of when it first went to empty on the gauge and, well, the rest is history. Need to get in the habit of eyeballing the odometer and zeroing it out at every fill-up. :):banghead:

The Indian rider, 87 year old retired Korea era Marine, is giving me one of his gas bottles next week......holds maybe a pint of gas. So, next time, if I can remember the bottle in my saddlebag, I can go a few more miles in search of a petrol station. :thumbsup:

I tell you what, I really miss the petcock with the reserve position on the petcock. You always knew you had that wiggle room to get you to a station, now you are playing Russian Roulette with your gas tank depending on how accurate your gauge is and we all know the Rocket gauge is poor.

I tell you what, I really miss the petcock with the reserve position on the petcock. You always knew you had that wiggle room to get you to a station, now you are playing Russian Roulette with your gas tank depending on how accurate your gauge is and we all know the Rocket gauge is poor.

Yup, bought my first bike back in 1971, treated myself right after I got my first job after college graduation. Honda 750, 4 cyl.......with a reserve tank petcock......those were the days!

The Bible tells a story about 10 virgins, 5 of whom were foolish and ran out of fuel.

Do you feel like a foolish virgin?

I know that I do at times, but they are getting harder to find.

Your not alone RockOn same thing happened to me couple of weeks ago apart from having to be rescued by harley riders:oops:.Had not been out on rocket all week weather s..t so was using ktm but saturday was looking good so planned to go for blast. On the friday weather report good also thought take rocket to work.Onway to work fuel light came on just as i pulled into carpark no probs fill up on way home ready for tomorrow. Home time go the slightly longer way to garage as not been on rocket all week light only just on all good got mixed up with a bmw m3 in a who's got the biggest balls and went a little bit out my way as ya do:whitstling:anyway back on track mile and half from garage bike plays up think wtfs wrong with this then reality sets in and you know what's gonna happen what a stupid pr,,k. Lucky bmw driver did't see it.Mile and half walk to garage mile half back no way was gonna push it:eek:.Will i learn from this doubt it when the challenge is on nothing else matters.Petcock got one on my Ajs brilliant invention better than a stupid light gives you a insight to what's gonna happen and would have saved me a 3 mile walk would have given me the wake up call to pull out of challenge earlier.Anyway no damage done apart from 3 mile extra wear on the bike boots:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, happened day before yesterday on way to the weekly ride meet at local Harley dealer. First time in 50 plus years of motor-biking. Called my buddies, all 5 on Harleys...oh there is one Indian, and they rescued me with 2 gallons of gas free gratis from the Harley dealer.

Funny feeling when it happens......you are still moving forward and you feel the bike going backwards. Anyway, my new fuel sender unit needs calibration, someday, because it shows empty and light comes on when there is about 3 gallons left. So, when I keep riding off and on and lose track of when it first went to empty on the gauge and, well, the rest is history. Need to get in the habit of eyeballing the odometer and zeroing it out at every fill-up. :):banghead:

The Indian rider, 87 year old retired Korea era Marine, is giving me one of his gas bottles next week......holds maybe a pint of gas. So, next time, if I can remember the bottle in my saddlebag, I can go a few more miles in search of a petrol station. :thumbsup:

I carry a litter of gas and a can fire extinguisher.

Nice remembering the good old days:D, well one thing I do not miss is the stuck floats the constant balancing the carbs etc
etc etc, well actually I still do it with my 2001 Triumph Adventurer:banghead:
Most rocket riders use the odometer zero out at each fill up and around 130-150 start looking for a petrol station. As we all know the fuel light on the earlier models sucks in fact my 2005 the fuel light comes on after 70miles, my 2011 roadster has the most worthless fuel gauge ever invented.:D

Back