Opening the Secondaries?

Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
I have several goodies ready to install on my stock 2013 rocket roadster, but I want to do it incrementally out of curiosity to see how much effect, if any, each item has. I have the Ramair kit, stock pipes that have the CAT's removed, and soon a Paul Bryant header.

Before I do anything, I would like to simply open the secondaries using TuneECU and go for a ride? Is that a safe thing to do with regards to damaging the motor? Is it necessary to alter anything else in the stock tune in order to try this i.e. fuel AFR etc.?

Thanks

It's a good question as the secondaries are there for a purpose. Depending on which tune you have, secondaries are used at certain points to enrich the mix, not by adding fuel but by restricting air flow. Removing them alone is probably fine without doing anything else and will make the throttle more responsive, but it will also have the effect of leaning things up a little at some throttle positions.

The triumph tunes with them restricted and de-restricted are actually slightly different, but the overall change in fueling is actually pretty small. Since OP has I/E going on relatively soon he is going to need a tune anyways, so just opening secondaries to feel the difference wont hurt anything and yes, as CanberraR3 says it will run slightly lean in situations where the secondaries are now open and they were not before.

It wont hurt anything.

It's a good question as the secondaries are there for a purpose. Depending on which tune you have, secondaries are used at certain points to enrich the mix, not by adding fuel but by restricting air flow. Removing them alone is probably fine without doing anything else and will make the throttle more responsive, but it will also have the effect of leaning things up a little at some throttle positions.
Thanks, that's a great explanation.

The triumph tunes with them restricted and de-restricted are actually slightly different, but the overall change in fueling is actually pretty small. Since OP has I/E going on relatively soon he is going to need a tune anyways, so just opening secondaries to feel the difference wont hurt anything and yes, as CanberraR3 says it will run slightly lean in situations where the secondaries are now open and they were not before.

It wont hurt anything.
Hanso did send me a tune for the combination air and exhaust when I get to it. You lost me with the OP and I/E. Thanks for the response.

Back