On a long tour & engine sputtering

I would definitely not stop the engine with the kill switch, but always with the ignition key. Stopping the motor with the kill switch is similar to stopping a computer by simply turning off the power.

That is completely incorrect - as far as the ignition circuit goes, the key-switch and the Kill/Run switch are directly sequentially in series with each other (and so breaks the circuit at essentially the same node) so makes absolutely zero difference which is used to turn off the system

Last edited:
Page 38 of the owners manual states the Engine Stop Switch is for emergency use only. For normal operation use the key. It's actually a highlighted Caution...
-MIG

Yes it's exactly that - a CAUTION - to prevent forgetting to turn off the key after killing the engine, since, although the kill/run shuts the ignition circuit, the key leaves the lighting circuit on if only Kill/Run is operated.
i.e. it is only a cautionary suggestion to prevent possible battery drain if the key is not also turned off.
But is purely that - not because something terrible happens in the shutdown sequence.

Last edited:
That is completely incorrect - the key-switch and the Kill/Run switch are directly sequentially in series with each other so makes absolutely zero difference which is used to turn off the system

Thank you for clearing that up. I might think that the ECU does a frequent adaptation run/save cycle. For some reason, when one resets adaptations with TuneECU the instructions call for a 5 sec OFF switch. Are these things related?

The ECM power control is slightly different for the Classic vs the Touring and the Roadster

On the later models, the ECM power is supplied via the EMS relay - and in this case it is enabled by the ECM itself, when power is present on the A19 terminal (comes from the 'ignition' circuit)
When the 'ignition' circuit is turned off (whether by the key or kill/run switch) it starts an internal ECM timer, which does not immediately turn off the EMS relay, but provides for a short delay while the current trims are committed to memory (you will probably be able to hear the EMS Relay click off after a few seconds of turning off the ignition)

On the Classic, the EMS relay is not controlled by the ECM - directly from ignition power only.
Therefor that relay will turn off as soon as the Key (or Kill/Run) is turned off. And therefor so will power to the ECM.
There is no direct 'ignition' connection to ECM so there is no external trigger (that I can see) for a countdown after key-off on those models
(I may have to study the early circuit a bit more - might be missing something, but I can't see it at the moment)

i have been using the run/kill switch for turning mine off since i got it now 41000 miles. no problems
my theory is when u turn it on there will be a spark and constants spark will wear out the switch.
my way is kind of a decision which one would i rather replace and i think the the run/kill would be cheaper and less expensive.
ps of coarse i have left the switch on and ran the bat down.:(

The ECM power control is slightly different for the Classic vs the Touring and the Roadster

On the later models, the ECM power is supplied via the EMS relay - and in this case it is enabled by the ECM itself, when power is present on the A19 terminal (comes from the 'ignition' circuit)
When the 'ignition' circuit is turned off (whether by the key or kill/run switch) it starts an internal ECM timer, which does not immediately turn off the EMS relay, but provides for a short delay while the current trims are committed to memory (you will probably be able to hear the EMS Relay click off after a few seconds of turning off the ignition)

On the Classic, the EMS relay is not controlled by the ECM - directly from ignition power only.
Therefor that relay will turn off as soon as the Key (or Kill/Run) is turned off. And therefor so will power to the ECM.
There is no direct 'ignition' connection to ECM so there is no external trigger (that I can see) for a countdown after key-off on those models
(I may have to study the early circuit a bit more - might be missing something, but I can't see it at the moment)

Perhaps there is a shut down process in the ECM if there is key data that should be saved at shut down. My short wave radios have these features wired in to protect some data but mainly the power transformers and capacitors.

I have Zero electrical engineering training so you might take my comment as malarkey :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

I would definitely not stop the engine with the kill switch, but always with the ignition key. Stopping the motor with the kill switch is similar to stopping a computer by simply turning off the power.
Regards, Georg

Oh Boy, hope you are wrong. I have Decosse's keyless ignition and that is the only way to shut down my ignition......via the kill switch.

When the engine is switched off via the kill switch, the ECU has no possibility to save the current environmental parameters. For example, if you start at sea level and switch off the engine at a higher altitude, for example on a mountain pass, the parameters stored in the ECU are those from sea level. If you want to restart the engine in the thin air, you can get start problems because the ECU has stored the environmental parameters from sea level. If you always move at the same altitude with same environmental parameters, there are usually no big problems.
Regards, Georg

Back