Oil Usage 07 R3

mikeh

Standard Bore
I'm a bit worried as i couldnt find anyone else who had this issue in a quick search, but todayI checked my 07 R3 oil level today, it was almost a quart low. I just changed the oil (10-40 Amsoil) about 1000 miles ago, and yes i did start the bike and let it run for a while when i did the oil change because i drained the sumps.

I'm a bit worried as the bike itself has only about 5k total miles on it. The weather has been fairly hot here in the midwest during most of its riding (85+) Has anyone seen this on their bikes before or know of anyone who has?

Thanks

Any white smoke coming out the exhaust? If not, the probability is that you didn't run it long enough after the change and the sump wasn't full. There are only two ways to lose oil
Burn it or leak it.

Put a few good miles on her before checking the level again, there could be quite a bit of oil still down in the dry sump.

Rockets burning oil is certainly not a common problem. The oil pump on dry sump motors has two sections. The pressure side and the scavenge side. Pressure side feeds oil to the motor where it all drains down to the sump. The scavenge side is typically twice the capacity of the pressure side in order to ensure that the sump does not fill with oil but stays relatively dry. There is an anti drain valve between the oil tank and the pump but some oil may seep past. That is why you run the motor for a bit before checking the oil so that all the oil is back in the tank.

mikeh:
What Hellfire said. Our first check of the oil level nearly caused heart failure. Once we checked it properly, we calmed down. When the bike sits, the oil has a tendency to drain from the tank down into the motor. Start it and run it for a couple of minutes, then check.

We trudge on.

There is a check valve that is supposed to keep the oil from draining out of the tank into the engine when the engine is not running. However it is common for the check valve to drain down anyway. I actually check mine while it is verticle and idling.

Whew...

Thanks for your help... Started it and let it run for a while and checked it, all is good. I've never had a bike before that has done that. Guess I should have read the manual instead of putting it in the closet, feel kind of stupid now.

Not nearly as stupid as you would have felt adding a quart without asking. They literally throw the extra oil out on the ground, bike and your pants when overfilled. Not a pretty sight. LOL

Stupid you say? If you want to join the stupid club, we are a charter member and can get you a break on the initiation fees. We added a quart of oil to the tank before we logged onto this forum and were advised that we had not properly checked it. Fortunately, the tank has room for some overfill without any damage or puking.

We trudge on.

Back