Oil pressure light on R3T

as a test i think u should
when light is acting up pull the oil cap and make sure the oil tank is at proper level.
especially at first start up.

Well mine was a little different. At start the light was off. After riding a short time the oil light would flicker on and off. Then it stayed solid. I was on a trip so I called in. They thought same thing... bad sending unit. They had just serviced it. Turns out it was a gear that was improperly installed at the factory that pumps the oil through all the chambers. It was not pumping the oil back up, but the oil tank looked full every time I checked. Then the motor blew up on the 3rd sister! That was at 7,500 miles.

Well mine was a little different. At start the light was off. After riding a short time the oil light would flicker on and off. Then it stayed solid. I was on a trip so I called in. They thought same thing... bad sending unit. They had just serviced it. Turns out it was a gear that was improperly installed at the factory that pumps the oil through all the chambers. It was not pumping the oil back up, but the oil tank looked full every time I checked. Then the motor blew up on the 3rd sister! That was at 7,500 miles.
Ouch!
To be fair that is the exact reason why oil pressure sensors are fitted. The trouble is that the failure rate of the detector system is higher than the system that it monitors, so technicians 'rightly' think a sensor is the most likely.

I have a 2015 R3T with a little over one hundred miles on it after the bike is ridden for twenty minutes or so the oil pressure light comes on or flickers at idle any ideas ? Local dealer (that I have little faith in) says they think there is a loose connection on the switch.If this is the case why doesn't the light come on wwhen the bike is cold.
I had the same problem on my 2015 R3T, dealer said a wore on the sender was bent so that it was hitting the sensor, this happened at the first service, haven't had any problems since they fixed it

The bad part for mine is that I took an entire day out of my trip to ride to San Antonio to have the dealer look at it. DO NOT EVER USE THAT PIECE OF $h!*!! I called before I went there, and the owner said he would get it in. Arrived and told the same thing. He just had to finish a PDI for a sold bike. 3.5 hrs later, after roaming his sales floor, I go back to the shop to see my bike still in the same place!! Pleaded my case only to have tha a$$ hat not even give me the respect to come and apologize to me. He wouldn't even come out. He just made one of his minions come out and tell me they would not look at it today! Just leave it, and they will get to it tomorrow! Same guy that I explained I was on a. Bike trip!!! Sorry for the long story, but that a$$ hat has no business owning any service business!! Long story short, because I did not have any other choice, the motor blew on the trip. The funny part was when I left, the light did not come back on that night at all.

The dealer finally got the ops in.Took the bike in today for the r/r,they also replaced two dzus fasteners that farked up.

The light is there to tell you there is a problem, it might be a sender etc or it might be that the motor is not getting a steady flow of oil under pressure like it needs. I would not ride my bike until I knew for sure what it was. It would be nice to have a mechanical gauge that you could look at mounted on the engine in addition to the light.

NO THANK YOU . Dealers suck. Troubleshooting should be a simple process. Idiot lights tells you there is a problem. The dealership has the equipment to figure the rest. If they are real mechanics.

Oil light coming on intermittently again. Went too the dealer this morning they checked it out and ordered another ops it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to get the new one.Also another dzus fastener went South so they ordered another of those also.

Last edited:
Back