Norton troubles

I remember a member here who bought one of those new Norton's. It was over $30,000 and he was having troubles. I think he was from Australia. I had a 1965 Norton scrambler and I feel sorry for him.
Anybody remember the mate's name?
I was selling Norton back in the seventies and they where JUNK LOL

well,you must have been putting youre lemon pledge in the tank cuz the ones I was around then were good running bikes
I loved them. They may have not been the most reliable but I thought they were the coolest ride at the time!!!
YES 50 % of the Commandos we sold broke the transmission cases WOW what a nightmare The KAWASAKI 900 came out and that was the end of our NORTON sales

I had a Saturday job in the 70s at a Norton dealership. There were a lot of transmission issues also there were different transmission ratios and we never knew which was coming in.

The 850 Interstate was a very quick bike in its day but very vibey. The whole engine used to shake on its isolastic mounts to the point that the exhaust port threads would fret and need heli-coiling after a few months.

I was selling Norton back in the seventies and they where JUNK LOL

If you thought the Norton's were junk, I had a 73 Yamaha TX750. The engine was junk. I heard it brought Yamaha to the brink of bankruptcy (rumour). Good looking bike, with a nice sounding exhaust and reasonable power but the balancer shaft, which was a new feature that year, whipped the engine oil up at higher revs aerating/foaming the oil, causing a loss of oil pressure and ...... My engine was rebuilt at 4000 miles under warranty, then I got rid of it. It was only made for 2 years. They even increased the sump depth to try and solve the problem.

upload_2020-3-3_6-53-47.png

If you thought the Norton's were junk, I had a 73 Yamaha TX750. The engine was junk. I heard it brought Yamaha to the brink of bankruptcy (rumour). Good looking bike, with a nice sounding exhaust and reasonable power but the balancer shaft, which was a new feature that year, whipped the engine oil up at higher revs aerating/foaming the oil, causing a loss of oil pressure and ...... My engine was rebuilt at 4000 miles under warranty, then I got rid of it. It was only made for 2 years. They even increased the sump depth to try and solve the problem.

Aren't these the same model that came with 4 valves per cylinder and always cracked into the spark plug hole ? They made a 500cc version as well.

YES JUNK

Back