I had a no spark problem this spring. I decided to change the spark plugs and upgrade to iridium. after spending a couple days trying to figure out what was going on, I decided that the problem started when I put the new plugs in, so I tried the old plugs. I got spark. No more fancy plugs for this bike.

My phone/internet is not very good now may not be able to continue.

Thanks to all of you. Still no progress. I could not find the alarm last night but at least I know it should be under the gas tank, I will try to track it down using wire colors.

I did pull the the crank sensor and quite a lot of oil did come out. It dumped enough that I stuck it back it before it made a huge mess. I will get a drain pan under it and try again.

Ok, well I had the wrong sensor. I thought the crank sensor was below in the sump. I don't what what sensor I pulled but I put it back. I realize the crank sensor back of the engine now. I will try to determine if it is there and do a test on it.

Ok, well I had the wrong sensor. I thought the crank sensor was below in the sump. I don't what what sensor I pulled but I put it back. I realize the crank sensor back of the engine now. I will try to determine if it is there and do a test on it.
I am so confused. I thought the crank sensor is located at the bottom of the engine in the alternator cover. I pulled what certainly looks like it, sort of a black cylinder held on by a single 8mm head bolt. I pulled it out and oil dumped out, at least a quart & maybe more. I'll not refill at this point, I am thinking oil should not be in there unless something is wrong?

One of two things have happened; 1) I got the wrong sensor. I attached pics of what I pulled. I tried to follow the wires to the plug that by color seem to match the crank sensor but they go deep behind the engine so I can't be sure. OR 2) I got the right sensor and something is really wrong because there is oil where there should not be oil.
tempImage2aJkxy.png
tempImagehSUzIk.png

That is the crank sensor
Maybe because it has set for a long while?
Some has had problems with drain back where the oil in tank goes into the sump and is easy to overfill
But drain back is not a big issue
Still pull and check for debris
To change is a terror
Will post more about sensor when I get to the shop

That is the crank sensor
Maybe because it has set for a long while?
Some has had problems with drain back where the oil in tank goes into the sump and is easy to overfill
But drain back is not a big issue
Still pull and check for debris
To change is a terror
Will post more about sensor when I get to the shop
Would the oil mess up the sensor? It is still dripping so I just left the pan under it.

Would the oil mess up the sensor? It is still dripping so I just left the pan under it.
oil will not hurt it
did it look ok? any debris
i am hoping to get enough time to make a post about the crank sensor maybe today.

oil will not hurt it
did it look ok? any debris
i am hoping to get enough time to make a post about the crank sensor maybe today.
It does look like the oil was overfilled, I will drop the level a bit later. The level does not seem to have changed after quite a bit came out of the crank sensor hole.

Sensor looks perfectly clean so I reinstalled it. I did a basic test with my multimeter. I grounded to the battery and then with the probe I tested both sides of the crank sensor while cranking the engine. I got virtually nothing (.02-.03v) so I tried the crank sensor off my touring and got the same result. My multimeter's lowest setting is 20v and is a cheap one, but it always has worked for me.

I don't see anything that looks like what I think is the alarm connector. From the manual it looks like it has 12 black wires and I guess it is under the tank. I don't see anything like it.

I have had so much bad luck with these bikes. I have resurrected so many bikes, Hondas, BMWs, Guzzi's, and others but these bikes just don't work for me. I am a few more hours of shop time away from parting out both of my rockets and washing my hands of them. At this point I am thousands down but it might be time to cut bait. :-(

I see two things unplugged on the left side. A black connector with a black and a purple wire and then one of those spring plug connectors with an NK (brown and Pink and a red and yellow wire) Don't know if they are supposed to be connected.

Attachments

• tempImageSLkJHJ.png
    tempImageSLkJHJ.png
    648.2 KB · Views: 15
  • tempImageO5y0wX.png
    tempImageO5y0wX.png
    634.3 KB · Views: 16
Back