New Year Objective get back on the Rocket

TallRocket

Standard Bore
Hello All,

My name is Tom, 58, 6'10 sub 300 lbs (yeah). Likely the biggest guy you are likely to meet.

Purchased my Classic in April 05, graphite from Mananyuck (outside Philly), PA. Moved from PA to Golden Valley, MN and from there to North Toledo Bend Lake, LA. Bike has been stored for 3 years. Over the last two years have had both knee replaced. (if you Dr says you need a new knee - do it, the pain you feel with the old knee doesn't dimish and the pain of the replaced knee was never greater than the old knee and does diminish over time)

I am begining to plan for returning to riding. I am looking for your input on what I should add to my to do list to bring the Rocket back to life. The bike has about 13K miles on second set of tires with stock tune.

- replace oil and filter ( have both with replacement brass washers)
- replace final drive oil
- check air pressure
- lube cables
- inspect brake pads and fluid

Prior to storage I drained the gas from the tank, but recently noticed a gas like leak from under the tank. So, I need to remove the tank.

My shopping list includes:

Fuel line and filter
final drive oil
New battery ( even though on tender it is still five years old )
new tires

Should I replace the radiator hoses and flush the system?

If I am not bass fishing, I will be on the Rocket. Anyone near the Shreveport, Logansport area on NW LA is encouraged to drop in.

PS - This site is assume, I have been wasting my time watching the old Triumph site

get on her... I would just flush the coolant... check the vacuum hoses under the tank as well they usually dry rot over time.

Welcome back, I am getting back on a Rocket after 2 back surgeries, only time in the saddle will tell

I think your approach is sensible Mr. Tall. Flush and fill, check for leaks and see what happens. The tires may be ok but consider replacing them before any long trips away from the shop, dry rot sets in them as well and the weight and speed of riding can fatigue them sooner when they are older. Welcome back to the saddle!

welcome vertically unchallenged Rocket. 300 is NOT big. 6'10" is indeed friggin' tall!
BTW - Your "PS" comments were AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
Know all about knee replacement ... carpentry more than surgery. I was back on my Speed Triple ( not my RIII) 5 weeks after the replacement ;) OzRider beat me by a few days after he got his new knee. Good to see you are getting back on your bike extremely tall American person :D

Welcome back mate. I have a feeling we have another member around your height. He posted a pic of him riding his Roadster and the bike looked tiny. Maybe we should consider forming a basket ball team.

Back