New recruit from Western Australia

:) Wish I were riding this weekend instead of enduring the winds and rain of the hurricane Ernesto hitting us in the North...I'm not happy...but I did put some good miles on yesterday as I knew this coming at us....and I needed an excuse to ride in the new tune from Tuneboy....

Yandicoogina,

Welcome from mid-Mo. Not sure how i missed this thread but I envy what you are about to partake.
I live on a dirt road that takes 1 and 1/3 miles to pavement. I never have a clean R3 but am quite adept(now) at sliding that big rear tire thru the gravel to the pavement.

Looking forward to your update.:)

:) I could definitely use some advice on how to slowly stop the big Rocket when going downhill to the end of deep gravel/stone driveway having to stop for main road traffic...Any advice on rear or front brake?

jefff1 said:
:) I could definitely use some advice on how to slowly stop the big Rocket when going downhill to the end of deep gravel/stone driveway having to stop for main road traffic...Any advice on rear or front brake?

In your scenario I would take it as slow as possible to avoid any wheel locking. use the rear break so you can still steer the front tire which is critical at low speeds cuz as you know on gravel you do a lot of correcting with the front tire at creep speed. Get ready to put those feet down but remember your soles will slide on the rocks and dirt so be CAREFUL. I would like to add that if you can maintain traction, use both brakes but if front brake locks release the brake handle immediately to keep steering control. If you are in a situation where the bike is sliding toward the pavement and a car is approaching you will need to lay the bike down quickly. The damage will be minimal compared to hitting the car.

AGAIN, TAKE IT AS SLOW AS YOU SAFELY CAN.

Last edited:
Oh my GAWD.... I won't start off with an apology but feel as though I should write something to you guys. I have bought a Speed Triple!!!
I hope that doesn't mean I am now treated with contempt, but I got so very very close to handing over my roubles for that mighty redhead. I actually drove 400kms to a dealer to have a last reassuring test ride. However, I simply aren't ready for that bike right now. Thats all. I took a Speed Triple for a test ride really to just confirm how good the R3 was, but I got hooked on the flexibility, the sound, the colour (black) and also the 'nasty' attitude. I couldn't believe that it only took 4-5 mins to convince me that I should order a black Spd Triple. So there...I've done it, I'm back at work for 3 more weeks, then I go into my local dealer and ride it away. All the best to you guys. Thanks.

Yand,
Congratulations on your Speed Triple purchase. You are always welcome here but understand if you want to hang at a speed triple forum. You did get a Triumph which is very commendable considering the options available in the speed triple class of sport bikes. Visit any time you like. You have proved you are a straight shooter with class, a great combination on any bike.:bch:

Hey Yandi,it's all about choices my friend.Some may think the R3 an ole fogey machine and I don't mind at all cause I'm close enough to fit that but it is the one bike to erase the years for us grey hairs. When you get ready you'll be back.Let us know from time to time,hear?

Hey thanks. You are great rocketeers and I will certainly keep in touch. And..... if I work hard, I might just get to add the R3 to my current fleet of bike. Having two would be ossum! Of course, it would need to be a matching black R3.
Funny thing is, ever since I signed for the new SpdTrpl it has rained hard. Even in this beautiful part of the country we are now experiencing the second day of speccie lightning and thunderstorms. Is HE not happy about my choice????
Ride hard, ride safe and may you smile forever.

Back