Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
Here is a teaser picture of the Dakota Indian I grabbed off the website. Somewhere between a Rocket 3 and a HD. A unique bike with a gob more mystique than the now defunct U.S. Indian and the soon to be resurrected Chris Craft Indian.

There is something very mysterious about an inline longitudinal 4. It's almost "medieval". Like a Vincent Black Shadow or the R3. Very unique.

Attachments

• indian.jpg
    indian.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Make Believe?

Isn't it what the now-defunct-again Excelsior company reportedly had on its drawing board (with a Triumph fugitive as a Chief Executive ?). At any rate, I don't reckon that an air-cooled, 1800-some cc's, in-line four with only 74 flywheel HP is gonna rock my soul:confused: .

Jamie

Isn't it what the now-defunct-again Excelsior company reportedly had on its drawing board (with a Triumph fugitive as a Chief Executive ?). At any rate, I don't reckon that an air-cooled, 1800-some cc's, in-line four with only 74 flywheel HP is gonna rock my soul:confused: .

Jamie

That is SORRY ponies:eek:

The Dakota Indian has been around for years.. It is a very interesting bike. It's been a while since I've read on it, but I believe they've made an air cooled block and heads for a Chevy or Volvo four cylinder? They can't sell it as an Indian here in the states because Dakota does not own the rights to the Indian name here, but I believe you can buy one. They are EXPENSIVE though.. no comparison to a Rocket either..

The space behind the front forks looks totaly void...empty. Thank God Rockets got radiators! And is that a drum brake in the rear? :roll: Bigern

bigern:

According to the website, the final drive is manufactured by a German company by the name of Kaiser (what else) and yes it is a drum brake, but remember when only race bikes had disc's and drum brakes were the norm. In defense of drum brakes, my '68 Bonnie had a tiny drum (1/2) hub width in the back and a double leading shoe vented in the front and in '68, it stopped admirably.

I wasn't even aware of the Dakota Indian until another scrap hauler from Indiana told me about the website. I believe you can buy and have them shipped here. I'm waiting for literature. It's a nostalgia thing, not a performance thing.

Jamie

Jamie:

I'd imagine that there is a good number of old timers as well as Indian lovers out there that would purchase one if they could afford it. That's the key, afford it. No prices are listed on the website so I presume the bike is distantly related to Corbin.....over-the-top.:D

You are right of course, 74 horses aren't going to "rock my soul" either. But that's right about where HD's bikes are. Remember, it's not how much power you have on tap, it's how well your brain is connected to the twist grip that matters.:)

Back