New clutch slipping at higher RPMs and hard throttle

I suppose it's water over the dam at this point.

If the dealer used all OEM parts, aren't they responsible for whatever is amiss independent of our speculation ?
In a normal world with a competent dealer, yes. These schmucks had my bike from the second week in November until a week ago. The funny part is, I had planned for exactly this by using all OEM parts. Unfortunately, I had not planned on the total incompetence. Without getting into it, NOTHING they did was right except mounting my front tire. It was so bad that I ended up getting credited for all of the service AND the parts. The new service manager felt bad about my troubles at least.

Just found this post. Great info on different springs.

My dealer was the same, I only went for oil and tire changes, and they screwed that up. They dropped Triumph about 5 years ago, dropped all motorcycle brands a couple years ago, it was probably for the best.

To start off, how many miles on the bike and what mods were done to the engine along with any other history it may have had. Did they show you the bad parts, if there were any? Would be nice to see some burnt clutch plates. What parts were eventually replaced? I'm curious to see what the cause of the slipping was.

Next, since it took them 7 months to perform a clutch replacement, I'm assuming several different fellows worked on it. That means if someone took it apart and placed the parts in a certain order, then someone else put it together...... well what @warp9.9 stated about misplacing the clutch plates comes to play. They may have corrected the original problem and created another....

About 44,000 miles on it. I saw the replacement parts. The fibers didn't look terrible. I had them replace both the fibers and the steels (as well as the springs). Since I am still getting slipping, I am pretty much convinced that the added torque from the K&N's, TORS and Tune are probably more than the stock springs can handle. Odd because no slipping in 1st gear, but slipping starts under hard throttle in second gear after about 4K RPM. At this point, I am thinking that replacing the springs may be the next logical step.

@Jabo75 You are ignoring the decade of accumulated knowledge here.

Several folks have commented already, that stock springs are no problem with a number of bikes more powerful than yours -- yours in fact is pretty mild by comparison to my bike even.

There is something else going on than just springs.

Joe, are we reading the same thread? :) I started this thread to get ideas from those with a lot more experience from me. Several folks including the esteemed Warp seemed to think it could be the springs. I have seen other threads where people have complained about the stock springs. My slipping issue with original clutch pointed to maybe spring issues (the old fibers seemed to be OK). I agree it seems odd that with the things I have done to my bike that the OEM springs would cause slippage, but I can replace the springs (relatively) easily. I really think it might make sense to start my troubleshooting by putting some Carpenter or Barnett springs in and see if that fixes it. My father always told me to start with the easiest/least expensive thing first and I already checked the clutch cable freeplay. If anyone disagrees, speak up before I get my new springs. Also, since I know how long it can take to get certain parts, what's the word on reusing a recently installed clutch cover gasket? Do I need to order any other parts before I tear into the clutch?

Joe, are we reading the same thread? :) I started this thread to get ideas from those with a lot more experience from me. Several folks including the esteemed Warp seemed to think it could be the springs. I have seen other threads where people have complained about the stock springs. My slipping issue with original clutch pointed to maybe spring issues (the old fibers seemed to be OK). I agree it seems odd that with the things I have done to my bike that the OEM springs would cause slippage, but I can replace the springs (relatively) easily. I really think it might make sense to start my troubleshooting by putting some Carpenter or Barnett springs in and see if that fixes it. My father always told me to start with the easiest/least expensive thing first and I already checked the clutch cable freeplay. If anyone disagrees, speak up before I get my new springs. Also, since I know how long it can take to get certain parts, what's the word on reusing a recently installed clutch cover gasket? Do I need to order any other parts before I tear into the clutch?
Thats what I would do order some springs and a clutch cover gasket. 4 hours and she is running again and with verifying correct fiber over the anti-judder spring and seat.
Why you can raise her in the air at a angle like the front rails on jack stands and you can do it without dropping the oil. "Yes I Have" :)

So @warp9.9 assuming the original cause was the clutch springs, and these were replaced along with everything else with the same problem cropping up, wouldn't that suggest something else was at fault and putting in heavier springs only fixes the symptom...not the problem?

I wonder (guessing here) if something like the wrong oil was installed causing original issue, then on reassembly plates are put in wrong???

Hey, if heavier springs fixes it for you🤗 The power to yah. It would just bug me though.

Back