New clutch slipping at higher RPMs and hard throttle

Jabo75

Eschew Obfuscation
Ride
2005 Rocket 3, 2010 Electraglide Ultra CVO
So I brought my R3 to a dealer o have a clutch replaced in November. I just got it back a week ago. Yep, they blamed everything they could including covid. Anyhow, my new clutch is still slipping when hard on the throttle at 5-6,000 RPM. Not in first, usually in second, and sometimes in 3rd . I haven't been able to test 4th and 5th yet. Any thoughts on what they messed up? I made sure they replaced the springs. Any chance it could just be the higher torque/horsepower from my modifications?

Hello my friend. I kew you would be the one to know! I was going to use EDC, but ended up having them order all OEM parts.

Hello my friend. I kew you would be the one to know! I was going to use EDC, but ended up having them order all OEM parts.
Ok there is two different fibers and all steels are the same. Sounds to me like the large inside diameter one that goes over the anti judder ring and seat. Is probably where your problem might be. Is the clutch freeplay/slop on the cable 2 to 3 mm. If its less you could be taking pressure off the springs. Speaking of springs did you change them to stronger ones? Its hard saying but without alcoholic beverages its a 4 hour job if you never done it before. I'm betting I could come close to 2 hours now . Also did the shop put the right oil in it ? Thats about all the ideas I can think of right now.

1. I need to check the freeplay. It feels "ok" but may as well measure it.
  2. I really wanted to use EDC clutch and springs, but because the dealer is so messed up, I decided to just let them order everything from Triumph. They are all OEM.
  3. I called the shop and asked what oil they used, they said it was OEM Triumph oil (not that I really trust them).
Since I usually drink Miller Lite, I assume that's the 2 hour difference. I need to switch to Mickey's Big Mouths!

1. I need to check the freeplay. It feels "ok" but may as well measure it.
  2. I really wanted to use EDC clutch and springs, but because the dealer is so messed up, I decided to just let them order everything from Triumph. They are all OEM.
  3. I called the shop and asked what oil they used, they said it was OEM Triumph oil (not that I really trust them).
Since I usually drink Miller Lite, I assume that's the 2 hour difference. I need to switch to Mickey's Big Mouths!
Not to worry my friend there is nothing wrong with the triumph fibers. I'm running a set now. Plan on changing them when the wear out. Not sure how old they are as they came with the bike in 2014 and I've only managed to put 28,000 on them. But I do have Carpenter springs on it which I really like. Oh and calorie count has nothing to do with the time warp :) but then I lost count of how many times I had a clutch cover off :)

I replace mine after it started to slip at 35,000 miles. Fibers and plates were fine but after upgrade the stock springs were not. Bought a Barnett system and it works fine for my mods. Now at 66.000 miles and no issues. 2015 Rocket X

I am starting to think it may be the springs. ****it, I was going to put heavier springs on it, but I figured the idiots at the dealership would use them as an excuse if something went wrong. Looks like it may be the springs eh? Soooo, looks like I am going to order new springs. Two questions:

1) What are the best springs? I've heard Carpenter, Barnett and EDC as being decent
2) Before I start searching, is there one really good post that has step-by-step instructions for replacing the springs?

I like the barnett. Most like the Carpenter. My bike only produces around 168 horse so the barnett work well. Several post on subject. Keep in mind the heaver the spring the harder the pull.

"...Keep in mind the heaver the spring the harder the pull."

I got ya. Some days, that may be my only workout...

My biggest problem is getting parts. I need to look up some sourcing on the interwebs now.

Back