Welcome from arizona
when u shorted the circuit u probably probably took out the turn signal switch. that would be the best place to check i think there are guys that have taken it apart and cleaned it. so if u can get it apart u can check voltage at that point and also put a fused 12 volts into the circuit going to the flasher that is not working. hth

edit
u are getting volts thur the flasher and one wire goes to the turn switch and from the switch it should go to the left signal or the right signal.

7. 4 prong flasher relay makes noise on left, none on right. Replaced it. Same sad result.
8. Tried replacing the other (5 prong) relay that sits next to it (I have no idea what it does), but it didn't make a difference.
. ....

NEITHER of those is the Flasher Relay - the Flasher Relay has only THREE terminals; it is located behind the RIGHT side cover.

Make sure those relays you were swapping around are back in their original locations.

Does brake light still work? If not check/replace the Fuse.
If you do replace the fuse, first check the brake light again to be sure that is good, before you try the turn signal
Then try the left side (the one that was working)
if it does not work, try brake again to see if you blew the fuse once more.
If it DOES work, try the right side once again.

Grizz said that the left side blinker was working properly so that tells me that the fuse,flasher,and the wires going to the direction indicator switch is ok. now if the right side does not work that means the problem is either the switch or the positive wire coming from switch going to the right turn bulbs or the wires coming from the right turn bulbs to ground which is not likely.

Grizz said that the left side blinker was working properly...

yes, but then he says this
4 prong flasher relay makes noise on left, none on right. Replaced it. Same sad result.

That was a confusing (to me anyway) - of course flasher is not 4-pin; but making noise I presumed he meant 'buzzing' (but maybe he meant clicking as per normal)

Maybe he can give us current status of what is working and what is not to clarify

But absolutely, if one side works and other does not, it is purely down to the wiring/socket/bulb for that side

NEITHER of those is the Flasher Relay - the Flasher Relay has only THREE terminals; it is located behind the RIGHT side cover.

Make sure those relays you were swapping around are back in their original locations.

Does brake light still work? If not check/replace the Fuse.
If you do replace the fuse, first check the brake light again to be sure that is good, before you try the turn signal
Then try the left side (the one that was working)
if it does not work, try brake again to see if you blew the fuse once more.
If it DOES work, try the right side once again.

Brake light works, the fuses are all good.

yes, but then he says this

That was a confusing (to me anyway) - of course flasher is not 4-pin; but making noise I presumed he meant 'buzzing' (but maybe he meant clicking as per normal)

Maybe he can give us current status of what is working and what is not to clarify

But absolutely, if one side works and other does not, it is purely down to the wiring/socket/bulb for that side
Yeah, the 4 prong relay clicks in sync with the signal flashing.
Sorry It's taking a while to get back to you.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I know it's confusing to think how I messed up such a simple thing, but when you work in a hurry in the dark things can go south fast. What happened was the little negative arm (prong, wire, thing-a-ma-bob) got pushed down into the positive connection when I SHOVED the bulb in. I hadn't swapped one out on this bike yet and didn't see that it needed to slide up the side of the bulb housing. Upon inspection of the left side I could see what I did. It's seems so simple when you don't manhandle the thing! :laugh: Anyway, I'm going to open the switch up next and see if I cooked it somehow. Maybe I will get to it tomorrow, (I hope!)- the missus doesn't seem to think my project is the priority. :confused:. The good thing is that I can always use hand signals!!
I'm sure you are all on the edges of your seats over it, So I'll keep you posted.

Back