New 2006 R3 at OC Motorsports in Santa Ana, CA

Welcome to the site...from Afghanistan. Since you are not in a hurry, I would recommend waiting on the new Roadster and hit the web hard and running. There are probably some great deals to be had and as others have said the price may be a little high for a bike that is now approaching almost 4 years old/new. If it is still sitting on the floor it may be because they just didn't want to let it go. Those things accrue floor plan charges...they need to cut their losses and let it go.

Dennis

3-7 dtg Kandahar
9 dtg Dubai
10 dtg Home

+1 on Molinoman's sentiments vis-a-vis waiting for the Roadster. The 06' that you saw, TRacer, is undoubtedly a "ticking timebomb" as it is nearly a sure thing that it will require all or elements of what is genarally referred to as the "upgrade kit" to repair some endemic engineering and OEM parts flaws Triumph had with these bikes, somewhere down the road.

For the more aggressive riding Captains, it appears that Triumph has incorporated many design and performance/handling upgrades that advance the Rocket III's "state-of-the-art over and above the 05' thru '09 model years.

Welcome to the site from "Joisey" and enjoy the fun to come!

New 2006

I just bought a new in the crate 2007 Std. and paid $10,500 no freight or set-up was charged...they should just want to rid themselves of the non-current. They are likely paying floorplan interest on this bike. The smart dealer will let it go even at a loss.

I'd say no more than 10,500. There is a rebate on new unregistered Rockets of like $1000 as well.

You will love the bike...

Welcome gents, In 06' I paid premium for my 05' sold as 06' after a year it was totaled and I wanted another one but thought the price was over the top so I went to a wholesaler that had what I wanted in the crate and a price I couldn't pass up. I got the fastest red model and if they come out in a couple of years with the same color in the Roadster I'd be tempted. Still have to see what the upgrades spec out compared to the kit.

Great info from all of you. :) I ride over 25K miles annually and have done a number of long trips (e.g., Route 66 and other stuff), plus my current bike is my daily commuter to/from the office and my 9-year old kid's school taxi. Even though I've put Progessive 412s and fork springs on my Sporty, having some additional weight to help soak up the bumps and expansion joints would help immensely. I have ridden new Softails (image bike, IMO) and RKs, but the R3 is on another level. I was a little intimidated by the clutch engagement since it occurred so quickly (I didn't have to let the handle out much at all), plus my bike has a foot clutch so I was a little rusty using a hand clutch. During the short test ride I had three people give me postive comments while at stop lights.

During the short test ride I had three people give me postive comments while at stop lights.
Seems the most common one I hear at lights is "Wow, how big is that thing?"
I stole the response from another R3 owner I ran into at bikeweek ...
"IT'S HUGE !"
:p

Not in a hurry is the key.

Seven months or more about 3 rotations ago I bought my 2008 std from a dealer in Katy. I was wanting to get back on two wheels, working overseas it does not take long to come up with a big down, but shopping is limited so sites like this are just awesome. I was ready for a rocket, I was ready to ride and would have to make it happen in the 20 days I am home. I shopped on craigslist found this on for $12,500.00 which I believe was on high side but only had 30 miles and was untitled demo. Anyway I said i wanted it, talked them down $500.00 but added another $2000.00 in accessories. Dealer had and attitude I was lucky to be getting bike, way to good of price break and refused the Triumph rebate, I was wanting to walk away but my time was short and I love the bike. Anyway they knew my sitiation and took advantage, I am still pissed about the rebate. Since then I have found a dealer in South Houston that actually makes me feel like a valued customer. They always give me a nice discount on the expensive triumph after market parts and seem happy to do it. I add more bling every time I come home. I have had no mechanical issues so I don't know of either places mech abilities and both say I won't or should not need upgrade kit. Bottom line you hold the position of power, I screwed up and let the dealer take it.

"They wanted $13,300 out the door"

For an '06? That's why it's still there. That's nuts. I wouldn't buy it period, but no one should pay more than 7K-8K. It's USED. I don't care if it's never been sold or not. It's a FOUR year old bike. That's USED.

There's a Honda/Yamaha dealer here that has a really sharp looking, blacked out Road Star of some sort. The engine, forks, etc... are blacked out. They put pipes, Corbin seat, Corbin bags, Corbin faring, etc... on the bike and listed it at $23K. It's been there for years and I doubt it'll sell anytime soon.

The more I think the more 13.3 does sound high. I paid 14k for my '08 in '08, still in the crate. It came in on the truck while I was test riding their demo. Yeah, I'd keep looking ... bet you find a better deal with lots of accessories right here in our classifieds.

Back