Need some R3GT/R help - Rear Brake Wires

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
I recently bought a Smart Brake Module ( a nifty simple device out of Europe for my bike). It basically taps into the wires of the rear brake light, has an accelerometer in it which detects when you are slowing down via engine braking (rather than just applying front or rear brakes). I tend to slow the bike down using a variety of methods and engine braking is one of them. In any case, when the device senses you are slowing, it (depending on its orientation) will pulse the rear brake light or light it up solid. It's a safety thing in that sometimes the cages who are not always paying close attention don't notice the gap shrinking before they are too close.

My question is where is the best place to tap into the rear brake light? Is it under the tail, under the pillion, or someplace else? Also where would you stow it?

I'm asking generally but I know @Lamonster has already done some work in replacing the plate holder with his own creation. If you have any guidance, please post a photo or two or some clear indications as to where best to find them.

If anyone wants to know what the product is (as I didn't want to use this forum to publicize a product) just PM me, I'll gladly share.

Perhaps I'll simplify the question...

To get to the brake light wires, is it best to go from the top (under the pillion seat) or from underneath the fender (up under the plastic fender guard taking it off)?

Thanks, in advance...

I recently bought a Smart Brake Module ( a nifty simple device out of Europe for my bike). It basically taps into the wires of the rear brake light, has an accelerometer in it which detects when you are slowing down via engine braking (rather than just applying front or rear brakes). I tend to slow the bike down using a variety of methods and engine braking is one of them. In any case, when the device senses you are slowing, it (depending on its orientation) will pulse the rear brake light or light it up solid. It's a safety thing in that sometimes the cages who are not always paying close attention don't notice the gap shrinking before they are too close.

My question is where is the best place to tap into the rear brake light? Is it under the tail, under the pillion, or someplace else? Also where would you stow it?

I'm asking generally but I know @Lamonster has already done some work in replacing the plate holder with his own creation. If you have any guidance, please post a photo or two or some clear indications as to where best to find them.

If anyone wants to know what the product is (as I didn't want to use this forum to publicize a product) just PM me, I'll gladly share.
PM sent :)

I am using one that I put on my helmet or on my passenger's one. There are several good points:
1) it is possible to ride several bikes with the same benefit, it is not located on one bike.
2) as the light and brake light of this device are at the view (hight) of any car driver, you are seen.
3) very easy to charge (micro USB), 8 hours of work, adjustment of sensitivity with your phone, you do not feel it on the hard hat, ....

I started to use this kind of light device as my wife and I were down with the bike two times, as "follower" cars did not want to stop behind us at a "STOP" signal.

I installed one of these smart brake modules... and installed it as my first job back in April... I have to say they are brilliant! I followed my R3R a few weeks ago and watched as it flashed on... off... on... off about once every second as my bike came off the throttle. You can have it just come on while decelrerating or 'flash' (albeit quite slowly) like I have depending on which way up you mount it (tres clever). I have noticed that whilst out and about myself the cars tend to give me plenty of distance once I have decelerated a few times and they back off for the remainder of the time behind me. I don't get the same on my Speedmaster, they are always trying to see how close they can get to my bumper because although it's a 1200 with bags of torque, it appears very small with me on it from behind and I'm sure they think it's a 125 that they 'need' to pass. So I'm not 100% sure that when on my Rocket 3R that the sheer size of the bike and me is more intimidating, but I do think that Smart Brake Module is effective. I have the Smart Turn System (autocancelling but better) for the indicators on the Speedmaster and am likewise impressed, but it's nowhere near as easy to install as the Brake module!

For those looking to know...

Rear Brake Wiring is as follows:

Yellow/Red wire is POWER
Green/Purple wire is SIGNAL
Black wire is GROUND
I take it you have now installed the module and don't need the guidance you sought previously or am I presumptious with this statement sir?

how did you end up getting to the cables?
The wires for the rear brake light are under the seat and luckily, there is a connector there too to make it more obvious which one it is.
IMG_0421.png

All done, I chose to solder mine as I don't like the snap-on and crimp connectors supplied. The SBM has to be mounted flat, so I relocated the alarm connector (triumph protect+) which is unused on mine, to allow the SBM to have a nice flat mounting with some velcro
IMG_0423.png

edit: p.s. have since cleaned that area, the photo's show a lot of sand and muck... it's all gone now :)

Last edited:
Back