Need some advice about converting my 2006 Classic exhaust to a two muffler system.

Tumwatertaz

Outa here...Buh bye.
Ride
1994 Harley Dyna Low Rider
Sooo...I finally decided to ditch the stock triumph leather bags and put some fiberglass hard bags on the back and a fiberglass fairing on the front.

I picked up these bags for $300.00 US . They are made fror a VTX and the local guy I got them from used to have them on his Victor Kingpin.

SDC10547_chop_resize.jpg

Trouble is...my stock 3 pipe system is in the way. The way they bend up in the back on the RH side doesn't leave enough clearance for the bags to be mounted. I already have the TORS and the cat bypass installed on my stock 3 pipe system and I like the sound, so I have thought about modifying a set with the TORS muffler from a newer Roadster. I searched all over here and couldn't find anything about how to do the Roadster exhaust conversion to an older 3 pipe bike and what tune to use...so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Money is kinda tight...so I'd like to try and do this as cheaply as possible.

BTW..I'm gonna probably try to modify a Hardly Rideable fairing like this:
RoadUltra001.jpg

Or modify something similar. $4000.00 US is just too much for Corbin's stuff...and nothing else I've found is much cheaper...either that or I just don't like the way they look.

You can put Roadster exhaust, including TORS, onto an older model without too much difficulty - we've done it. You just need to buy a lot of bits and pieces and there's only one minor fiddle with one mounting point. It's not cheap but pretty cost effective anyway.
Ask you dealer to print out the complete parts schematic for Roadster exhaust and it's pretty easy to work out what you need. Otherwise send me a "conversation" and I can send it to you.

You could also take the opportunity to add a full CES system - 1 or 2 pipe - for more money of course.

Thanks very much CanberraR3...but I have already printed out the pics of the roadster exhaust system with all the little parts from my local triumph dealer. I'm hoping I can pick up a used set of stock roadster pipes with the TORS fairly cheap.

Do you know if my stock Classic header pipe will bolt up to the Roadster mufflers (silencers) and tailpipes? I know I won't need my old cat bypass or anything else from the headers back..but I guess I will just have to take a day to ride over to the nearest dealer and take some pics of a Roadster exhaust system to compare the two.

When it's all done, I will try to get some of my $$ back by selling off what I won't need any more. I'm just more of a "do it yourselfer" than I am a "buy it and bolt in on" sorta guy I guess. That behavior is kinda driven by a strong desire to build something a bit different and "one of a kind" unique that comes from my long history of hot rodding and customizing trucks , cars, and bikes. And the fact that I have more skills, time, and tools than money...for sure.

I nearly drove my wife nutso with my bike customizing...right up to the point where I gave her my fully customized Road Star, sold her stock V Star, and bought a VTX !800, customized it, and then sold it and bought my Rocket 3. I told her recently I was gonna tear into the Rocket and customize it. and she just said "figured you would."" and went back to staring at the TV.

Amazing what building that woman her own customized bike did for her attitude...lol

Thanks very much CanberraR3...but I have already printed out the pics of the roadster exhaust system with all the little parts from my local triumph dealer. I'm hoping I can pick up a used set of stock roadster pipes with the TORS fairly cheap.

Do you know if my stock Classic header pipe will bolt up to the Roadster mufflers (silencers) and tailpipes? I know I won't need my old cat bypass or anything else from the headers back..but I guess I will just have to take a day to ride over to the nearest dealer and take some pics of a Roadster exhaust system to compare the two.

When it's all done, I will try to get some of my $$ back by selling off what I won't need any more. I'm just more of a "do it yourselfer" than I am a "buy it and bolt in on" sorta guy I guess. That behavior is kinda driven by a strong desire to build something a bit different and "one of a kind" unique that comes from my long history of hot rodding and customizing trucks , cars, and bikes. And the fact that I have more skills, time, and tools than money...for sure.

I nearly drove my wife nutso with my bike customizing...right up to the point where I gave her my fully customized Road Star, sold her stock V Star, and bought a VTX !800, customized it, and then sold it and bought my Rocket 3. I told her recently I was gonna tear into the Rocket and customize it. and she just said "figured you would."" and went back to staring at the TV.

Amazing what building that woman her own customized bike did for her attitude...lol

Have a look at my facebook page www.facebook.com/vikingexhaust I build various systems for the Rocket.
One part that is in production now if you are considering the Roadster system is a free flowing cross over pipe, this will slide straight onto your stock Classic header and use the stock Roadster mufflers, or the Roadster TORS. All model headers are the same, it's just the rear end components that are different.

Paul%20Bryant-783-6.jpg

I have built a twin muffler system for my own bike, which I am going to get into production "when I get there!"
I can set this up so that the mufflers are running parallel to the ground so as to clear your bags.

Paul%20Bryant-783-7.jpg

Drop me an E-mail to paul@vikingexhaust.com

Thanks very much Paul...(great looking bike btw)... but I'm wondering if i can "massage" the stock roadster setup and modify the brackets a bit to get enough clearance. Maybe not - I'm not sure. These bags are fairly big. I could modify both bags a bit, but then they would end up fugly and semi non-functional, and that can turn into a big PITA.

What difference does using your crossover pipe have between the stock one? Is yours a direct bolt on to my classic - or is it set up to bolt on a roadster and it's something I will have to modify? I know the roadster's cat is in the stock silencers - so by using the TORS silencers - that should make some difference in performance and be very close to what I have now. And I wouldn't want them to be too close to the ground...or they will scrape on corners really bad in the twisties....but maybe lowering them a tiny bit wouldn't hurt.

Cost plus shipping kinda scares me...you are a bit of a distance from where I live. That has stopped me from ordering a bunch of stuff from overseas. I can afford the price or the shipping - just not both. My wife has this thing she likes to spoil all of my fun with that she calls a "budget"...lol

Thanks very much Paul...(great looking bike btw)... but I'm wondering if i can "massage" the stock roadster setup and modify the brackets a bit to get enough clearance. Maybe not - I'm not sure. These bags are fairly big. I could modify both bags a bit, but then they would end up fugly and semi non-functional, and that can turn into a big PITA.

What difference does using your crossover pipe have between the stock one? Is yours a direct bolt on to my classic - or is it set up to bolt on a roadster and it's something I will have to modify? I know the roadster's cat is in the stock silencers - so by using the TORS silencers - that should make some difference in performance and be very close to what I have now. And I wouldn't want them to be too close to the ground...or they will scrape on corners really bad in the twisties....but maybe lowering them a tiny bit wouldn't hurt.

Cost plus shipping kinda scares me...you are a bit of a distance from where I live. That has stopped me from ordering a bunch of stuff from overseas. I can afford the price or the shipping - just not both. My wife has this thing she likes to spoil all of my fun with that she calls a "budget"...lol

The parameters of fitting any lower silencer are A) the lower edge of your hard bags, and B) cornering clearance.

You could easily use my cross over pipe which as I say is more free flowing than the stock unit, combined with a pair of Roadster TORS.
The L/H one wouldn't be a problem as this L/H unit has a 90° bend at the inlet where it attaches to the cross over pipe, (see the top photo above) so you could easily rotate that downwards so as to clear your hard bags, what cornering clearance you would have, I don't know, but it is the bags that are going to determine that.
Once you have positioned that, you would simply make a mounting bracket to suit.

The R/H Roadster TOR/Stock unit is slightly different as the inlet tube into this Silencer is at an angle, so rotating it in the same manner as the left will lower it a little, but will more so, just "rotate" it. Also it will swing outwards as you do so.
The only way to set this right would be to cut the inlet tube, position this R/H Silencer, then re-attach the tube.

As you have already made up the L/H mounting bracket, I would make a mirror image one for the R/H side. This way you can mount/bolt up the R/H Silencer then match the position/joint of the inlet tube.
Give some thought to exactly where you make the cut.

Do remember that the Stock Roadster units are quite large in diameter, I haven't seen or measured the Roadster TORS so am not sure of the Major diameter of these.
As you obviously have Engineering skills, making mounting brackets won't be too difficult for you.

Thinking hard as to how to make this happen with out me spending a lot of time ($$$) or you spending a lot $$$, a thought I've just had, what if I build you the complete cross over pipe, but not attach the R/H Silencer joint tube, (or R/H mounting bracket as that is for the Roadster not the Classic) and not machine the entry hole into the pipe ?
This way you could fit the crossover pipe, mount both Silencers on the brackets that you have made, slide my R/H inlet tube into your R/H Silencer, then "stick 'em together"
Also, this way you wouldn't have to modify the Tors unit.
Send me an E-mail to paul@vikingexhaust.com for component costing, which would be less than the retail cost of the completed unit as I would not be putting as much time into it, or finish coating it. Shipping to you would be about US$80.00

Last edited:
Back