Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 4 13.8%

Votes: 12 41.4%

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
99 thousand miles on my 05 and I give it a 9. It has only let me down once because of a failed ignition switch, but I was only 7 miles from home.

I have never lubed the shaft splines, the tranny has been flawless, and although I had the paint can rattle from 10k to 90k, I have not heard it since. The bike has none of the upgrades. Replaced the primary TPS at 90k and the new blue one has been working great since. I did have to replace the oil tank oil rings at 65k.

Still, I don't trust it. Not because this particular bike does not deserve my trust (it does) but the other Rockets of that vintage have had so many problems. I feel like I am riding a time bomb and at any moment the output shaft bearing will blow, or the tranny, or the splines, or the cam chain. So it is now a local bike (within 200 miles from home, since my AAA towing covers that) and I ride a vstrom for the longer rides.

We've owned two Rockets and rate both 9. Both bought used w/low miles. The '08 Standard went a bit over 17K over 2 years before we crashed and needed only a battery and a bulb in one headlight over that time.
The '11 Roadster has 22K so far (three years of ownership) and other than a spongy rear brake (which we don't use much anyway) and a battery replace, no issues. Could be better but not by much.
We trudge on.

Have you bled them?
Made a big difference on my 2012 R3R.
I bought the special tool as well.

Mine has been nearly flawless in 29,000 miles.
A battery issue caused a minor delay once is all.
10 is impossible, so I'll give mine a 9!

I gave it a 7, due to the tranny $hitting the bed, up til that point I would have said 9 or 10. If it was an unusual problem I'd have gone a bit higher, but it's not.

You SLEEP with you Rocket!?!?!?!???

Should point out my Rockets got 126,000 klms on it since purchased new in January 2009. For half that time it was ridden daily .. my only means of transport back then.
As far as maintaining it goes my RIII been looked after better than any other bike I've owned. Factored into my 6 rating was the pisspoor parts situation which doesn't help with all over reliability in my eyes anyway.
Had around the same sort of mileage on both my BMW GS's without any trouble at all .. Harley's only stayed with me for a couple of years before something newer caught my eye.
Having said that I love my Rocket ;)

Should point out my Rockets got 126,000 klms on it since purchased new in January 2009. For half that time it was ridden daily .. my only means of transport back then.
As far as maintaining it goes my RIII been looked after better than any other bike I've owned. Factored into my 6 rating was the pisspoor parts situation which doesn't help with all over reliability in my eyes anyway.
Had around the same sort of mileage on both my BMW GS's without any trouble at all .. Harley's only stayed with me for a couple of years before something newer caught my eye.
Having said that I love my Rocket ;)

Mate, you had better go give it a French Kiss to assuage your mighty DISS!

Mate, you had better go give it a French Kiss to assuage your mighty DISS!

Will do next time I'm at the Triumph Dealership mate ..wasn't the bikes fault this time. Still waiting on insurance to ok repairs after the shunt.

Will do next time I'm at the Triumph Dealership mate ..wasn't the bikes fault this time. Still waiting on insurance to ok repairs after the shunt.

How much damage the "old buzzard" do?
Must have been a worse impact than I was thinking.
Gonna repaint black? :p

Back