Emerson42

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket III Touring
i have had some sputtering issues at low rpm. I thought it was bad gas but it didn't go away so while I was on a roadtrip I stopped at a dealer. his computer diagnostic said it was a map sensor. (manifold absolute pressure). The dealer didn't have one. So two questions.... How much do they cost and can I do it myself?

had that issue before. code was P1105 MAP sensor pipe fault. the vac tube on the map sensor was about 1mm from bottomed out, looked ok from a glance but a shove to be fully on solved it

O.k. old thread -- new problem ?

I have the high idle after disconnecting everything for the cam work.

I've checked the vacuum lines, replaced the evaporative loss vacuum lines with caps. Now have only one aux port connected to the cruise control vacuum servo, and the three "normal" lines to the MAP sensor.

There are no codes, and yet I wonder.

Something is causing the ECU to command the idle stepper to advance idle, have it dip, advance and hold, dip, advance and hold -- do that maybe five or six cycles, and then drop down to the map idle ~920 RPM.

Is it possible the MAP would be unhappy without throwing a code -- diaphragm damaged and yet the electrical is none the wiser ? How to test ?

if your diaphragm was damaged you should read way-off values on the throttle balance screen in TuneECU - yours around 540 are not bad - and the fuelling would be way off as a result.
if you wanted to test it anyway, you could disconnect it (plug only), also i have a spare i could lend.

have you blanked off that 4th vac line port, the one the cruise control line is connected to? see if it makes any difference?

also did you try disconnecting the idle stepper from throttles and let it idle with the throttle cam against the stop screw.
that'd practically rule out electrical issues and point toward mechanical e.g. vac leak.

also again, might be nothing,, but looking at your pics, the boot appears missing off the coolant temp sensor, wonder is there a prob there, have you checked the coolant temp value in TuneECU looks/behaves "normal"?
(the idle setpoint is dynamic based on coolant temp, e.g. if the ECU sees very cold temps on coolant temp sensor, it will drive the idle revs up.)

Link Removed

Thank you so much for responding.

Yes, the coolant temp boot was cracked and fell out when I removed the oil tank. As near as I can tell, and I just performed another "12 minute tune", the temp comes up normally and I can watch it vary between 97ºC and 100ºC as the fan cycles.

Today, without fail (!) I *will* blank off the fourth line, and I *will* disconnect the stepper motor linkage, and report back.

Given your description of problems with fueling and such, I suspect the MAP sensor (I found it curious on Hermy's the hoses are ID's as "MAP sensor hoses" but you can't buy a "MAP sensor" -- that is listed as "air pressure sensor" under "Engine Management") is still within spec.

Thank you so much for your offer of a spare - will hold off on that step for now.

Paul - every once in a while mine does that too - I mean not often but it does.

Tends to be on days about the 23-25°C mark. Colder never, hotter never. This may be allied to my altitude too. But it is almost predictable.
The wife's car does it occasionally too.

My other vehicles have electronics free engines - so just go and stop as requested.

I just replaced my MAP sensor. The bike was running, but sputtering and popping and such at low rpms; it would eventually die and was unrideable above idle. Throttle balance screen reported that all three were within 20, but the barometrics section always indicated 964hpa, running or not. I have not done any thorough testing yet with the new MAP as I only had about 30 minutes to put it in and test, but the bike started as it should, idled well, and would rev up. Prior to the new sensor it started hard and would not rev up without problems.

I will let you guys know more when I can. Presently 300 miles from home to pick our son up from camp and then Sunday is our errands day. Hopefully I can steal some time somewhere.

Back