Luggage Rack and Luggage for 2.5L

Stan

BigPapa351
Ride
Rocket 3 GT
Hi rocketeers
Just installed a luggage rack on the new GT model.
The warning sticker says 3kg or 6.6lp
How is that possible and is it actually misstype or just bull**** i can ignore?

Also want to see options and ideas people are using for luggage. Please post a picture of your luggage bags/cases.

Hi rocketeers
Just installed a luggage rack on the new GT model.
The warning sticker says 3kg or 6.6lp
How is that possible and is it actually misstype or just bull**** i can ignore?

Also want to see options and ideas people are using for luggage. Please post a picture of your luggage bags/cases.

I would offer that it is NOT a mistype per se and that they wanted it to read 3lbs. I also would offer that it is bullsh1t. Every warning sticker on the bike, and there are about 15 or so, is Triumph reducing their culpability if you exceed by even the slightest. It's their "Get Outta Jail Free" card that says "We warned 'em but did they listen? No!".

The billet of aluminum that the luggage rack is made of is most likely T6061 (most commonly available for automotive and aerospace) and has a KSI (kilopound per square inch) of 18 - 58 KSI. That said, a single bolt to hold that rack on would support about 50lbs and with 4 of them in place there's about 200lbs of support available at that rack, and that's just the mount between the rack and the sissy bar at the pinion. Without modelling the whole setup in CAD and doing the analysis I can't say for sure what the maximum weight is, but I can tell you that is exceeds 3lbs.

Me personally, I would be comfortable putting 30lbs on there easy. Distributing it as close to the back rest a possible (not having it dangling off the back) as that creates other forces that are increased with vertical and horizontal motion. Blah blah blah.

In the end, Triumph if they get sued for any reason, want to have the out of saying "We warned you!". So consider yourself warned but I think you'll be fine in you apply common sense and a good packing strategy.

Perhaps it's the weight of the parts
Rack.and brackets, not load weight.
Maybe the book would have explanation.
Seems like few undies and a shaver would be about 3kg
Not enough for a weekly trip away

We use the Kuryakyn luggage when we travel. I problem I found is the stock rack is just too small for any of the luggage I use. We designed a XL replacement rack for when we travel. I hope to have the prototype in hand by the end of the week.

IMG_3711.jpeg

We use the Kuryakyn luggage when we travel. I problem I found is the stock rack is just too small for any of the luggage I use. We designed a XL replacement rack for when we travel. I hope to have the prototype in hand by the end of the week.

IMG_3711.jpeg

What tool do you use for your CAD modelling? AutoCAD, SolidWorks, something else?

If you have a DXF or another format, I can get one of my guys to do a quick structural analysis on it for you, to see what it's capacity would be. If you're interested.

What tool do you use for your CAD modelling? AutoCAD, SolidWorks, something else?

If you have a DXF or another format, I can get one of my guys to do a quick structural analysis on it for you, to see what it's capacity would be. If you're interested.
Thanks for the offer but we have access to that info as needed. Like you said I think 30lbs should be no problem.

IMG_3711.jpeg
Are you making the brackets as well as a complete kit or just rack plate itself ?

Back