Bag for Luggage Rack

yes, I had an smaller bag there but still was overflowing to the sides....
no much space in the original rack, something like this will fit though...
1651592512264.png
Ha! That is about all that will fit on that one. Definitely makes the stock rack a bit useless. I'm determined to find some solution! There has to be something out there useful to strap to that tiny plot of aluminum.

B

Maybe I'm the weird one but a backpack fits either in front of the rack on the pillion seat or behind on the rack itself. I prefer it on the pillion seat and tie it down on it's side. I don't have the backpack 100% full more like 80% so it's flexible to tie easily. I've done it twice on overnight trips and no problem except the tying and un-tying is a bit of a hassle. It's a good addition to the Triumph Panniers in my opinion. :thumbsup:I
My challenge has been when I have my fiancé on the back seat. If I'm riding alone, I have the Triumph pillion pad bag that mounts right on top of the passenger seat. Unfortunately I haven't convinced her she has to sit on top of that one :) I'll try monkeying around with a backpack on the luggage rack and try to find a way to secure it that still allows her to use the passenger backrest.

I thought about the Triumph Panniers, but if I need to bring that much stuff, it's likely we're going more than 2 or 3 hours away, and (back to my fiancé) she's already made it abundantly clear that her she (and her ass) will only put up with a couple hours on the back of the Rocket, so we'll be taking the bagger instead.

B

I found a way to attach the Triumph tail bag to the stock rack (it pokes your back when mounted on the seat and this makes room for your pillion).

IMG_1274.jpg

Just attach a strap to the two rings on the bottom front to secure it to the backrest. Underneath was a bit tricky- figuring the best way to thread a strap so that it holds took a few tries. It passes over the "tongue" of the attachment point on the bottom of the bag.

Last edited:
I found a way to attach the Triumph tail bag to the stock rack (it pokes your back when mounted on the seat and this makes room for your pillion).

IMG_1274.jpg

Just attach a strap to the two rings on the bottom front to secure it to the backrest. Underneath was a bit tricky- figuring the best way to thread a strap so that it holds took a few tries. It passes over the "tongue" of the attachment point on the bottom of the bag.
I'll definitely give that setup a try. I found the same thing about putting it on the passenger seat. It doesn't sit back far enough to make it comfortable. Odd design for sure.

I will see if I can come up with something to mount it to that luggage rack though.

Thanks for the idea!

B

I saw that one, but only after I already ordered and installed the factory one, so I don't want to end up with two of them. That one almost looks a bit too large (disproportionate maybe) but may look different in person. For now, though, I'm stuck trying to find something that fits on the factory one to add at least some storage without having to put on saddlebags.

The search continues!

B
I don't have the original but if you buy that one I'd buy your original at a deal

Triumph really needs a bagger with this new engine. Those soft panniers don't cut it.
For long hauls I think you're right although for my needs I like the Triumph Panniers. They are on a shelf in my garage until I need them. With the Panniers off the Rocket looks good and when on they come off very easily when you reach your destination. They certainly don't hold much for two people but for me a few nights out , along with a backpack I'm good.:thumbsup:

Someone here, I think, mentioned a Givi tank bag. If I could do it over again I might go that route. If you mount the tank ring to the rack you'd have a quick release for the tail bag.

The design of the stock rack sucks because of the way the slots taper. When you try to lash something to it the straps can move which then creates slack. I strapped a bag of tools in a canvas bag to the rack and at the end of The Tail of The Dragon found that the bag slipped off (remained attached to the back rest) and was rubbing the rear wheel the entire ride- lucky it didn't go lower and lock the wheel. Another time before that, same bag, I had my wallet and other things in that bag and it went missing on a long ride. Long story short, I found it 10miles from home in a ditch- very lucky (again). Be careful how you attach straps to that rack.

Last edited:
Someone here, I think, mentioned a Givi tank bag. If I could do it over again I might go that route. If you mount the tank ring to the rack you'd have a quick release for the tail bag.

The design of the stock rack sucks because of the way the slots taper. When you try to lash something to it the straps can move which then creates slack. I strapped a bag of tools in a canvas bag to the bag and at the end of The Tail of The Dragon found that the bag slipped off (remained attached to the back rest) and was rubbing the rear wheel the entire ride- lucky it didn't go lower and lock the wheel. Another time before that, same bag, I had my wallet and other things in that bag and it went missing on a long ride. Long story short, I found it 10miles from home in a ditch- very lucky (again). Be careful how you attach straps to that rack.
Agree 100% on the rack. Like everything Triumph does for their 'touring' setup they go minimal. The little OEM 2.0 bags not even water-resistant much less waterproof and the tiny rack, dinky pillion seat, microscopic back rest that raises 1/2" along with the small windshield. It was more important to keep the lines and looks over functionality. It's like they had a sport cruiser and some engineer said, "How can we make this a sport/touring bike but keep the sport/cruiser looks and call it a touring/sports/cruiser without costly changes?" Like a number on here have stated they should go all out and make a solid touring bike instead of cut and paste tourer.:thumbsup:

The design of the stock rack sucks because of the way the slots taper. When you try to lash something to it the straps can move which then creates slack. I strapped a bag of tools in a canvas bag to the bag and at the end of The Tail of The Dragon found that the bag slipped off (remained attached to the back rest) and was rubbing the rear wheel the entire ride- lucky it didn't go lower and lock the wheel. Another time before that, same bag, I had my wallet and other things in that bag and it went missing on a long ride. Long story short, I found it 10miles from home in a ditch- very lucky (again). Be careful how you attach straps to that rack.
Definitely good advice on connecting to that stock rack. Non-parallel slots were a pretty dumb idea by Triumph for something that should be designed to carry something. I'm going to try to find a spare baseplate for the passenger seat pack so I can experiment with modifying it to allow it to securely attach to the luggage rack. If I can find one somewhere, I'll take some pics of the process/result and post them.

Back