Look To Buy / Would like some Opinions

tdogmason

.020 Over
Hello Everyone, I am looking at a 06 R3, with 3k, Black and pretty much stock other than a backrest. I am excited to check out this forum, I have had plenty bikes but never a Triumph. I also know that Forums for specific bikes are the best thing since sliced bread. I do have a few questions for you owners out their.

What is a good asking price for an 06 with 3k, stock and in perfect shape?
What is the low down on the R3, is there any fixes that I should know about right away?
What is the engine life and durability on these monsters?
What would be in your experiences the major mechanical problems or failures?
Is there plenty of do it yourself hop-ups ie. TPS, Air Filters, Throttle stops or restrictors?
How expensive is a good exhaust system with Power Commander III, and which seems to be the most popular?

If anyone can add anything else or if I should be looking for specific things when I go to test ride please chime in and load me up with some info. Here's a few pictures of the bike in question. I hope to be an owner soon and really join this forum and start using all the info and hopefully add something to the community. Thanks :cool:Tdog

How expensive is a good exhaust system with Power Commander III, and which seems to be the most popular?

While I haven't tried any other exhaust systems, including the stock one, I can strongly recommend the Jardine exhaust system. I had mine installed by the dealership before I picked the bike up, and am EXTREMELY happy with it. I know others on this site have had leak issues, and I only have 3K miles on mine, but the looks, sound and performance are awesome. As to the PCIII, I got in on a Tuneboy group buy and got a great deal, sounds to me like you can do a lot more with the Tuneboy. In any event, I'd definitely recommend the ability to load a new tune, whether via PCIII or Tuneboy to get the most out of whatever exhaust you end up with.
I'm sure plenty of others will weigh in on your other questions, but I did feel qualified to answer this one. Best of luck, welcome, and enjoy your Rocket!

Mike

Wow, mine used to look just like that.. :)

I've had Triumph's Off-Road (TOR) exhaust and I really like them. However, I run Jardines now and even though I recently griped about an exhaust leak, the Jardines really make the Rocket sound like a big 140 cubic inch motor should. Some people on here think they are too loud, but just ride down to your local bike night and you will realize that the Jardines are just average in the noise department.. :) If money is an issue, D&D makes a slip on muffler that alot of people have been happy with.

I run a PC-III also that has been great, but I wish if I were to start all over, I would just go ahead and get TuneBoy. The PC-III is great, but the TuneBoy gives you access to so much more, such as diagnostics, the ability to adjust your TPS settings, etc.

I am coming up on 50,000 miles on my Rocket and have not had any major mechanical issues. The TPS has been my biggest pain in the rear, but I don't think alot of people have a problem with it, just my luck lately. Let's see.. I also had to tighten my head stock bearings some time ago. I just removed the entire front end, re-greased the bearings, and put it all back together.. haven't had a problem since. I've also replaced the tail light bulb once. That's about it other than normal maintenance.

I have to be the bearer of bad news: That is an '05 or a stripped down 07 Tourer. It's right there in silver not black.
Unless of course the previous owner(s) just had to have a repaint to the '05 silver. There are a few '07s with silver engines but limited to Tourers only. All others are black engine.

A cat box replacer I can recommend as #1. And either go the cheap mechanical hardware means and mode of stripping out the secondary plates and eliminating the O2 sensor or the expensive TuneBoy software route.

50,000 :bch:

Last edited:
Wow, mine used to look just like that.. :)

I've had Triumph's Off-Road (TOR) exhaust and I really like them. However, I run Jardines now and even though I recently griped about an exhaust leak, the Jardines really make the Rocket sound like a big 140 cubic inch motor should. Some people on here think they are too loud, but just ride down to your local bike night and you will realize that the Jardines are just average in the noise department.. :) If money is an issue, D&D makes a slip on muffler that alot of people have been happy with.

I run a PC-III also that has been great, but I wish if I were to start all over, I would just go ahead and get TuneBoy. The PC-III is great, but the TuneBoy gives you access to so much more, such as diagnostics, the ability to adjust your TPS settings, etc.

I am coming up on 50,000 miles on my Rocket and have not had any major mechanical issues. The TPS has been my biggest pain in the rear, but I don't think alot of people have a problem with it, just my luck lately. Let's see.. I also had to tighten my head stock bearings some time ago. I just removed the entire front end, re-greased the bearings, and put it all back together.. haven't had a problem since. I've also replaced the tail light bulb once. That's about it other than normal maintenance.

I'd say you are pretty lucky with 50k, and just those problems, any bike with 50k would experience problems. I have been reading alot of post and see that the Rocket has it's problems but I'm just looking for a good felling about the bike in general. Thanks for the post so far, and can't wait to hear from more members. T

I have to be the bearer of bad news: That is an '05 or a stripped down 07 Tourer. It's right there in silver not black.
Unless of course the previous owner(s) just had to have a repaint to the '05 silver. There are a few '07s with silver engines but limited to Tourers only. All others are black engine.

A cat box replacer I can recommend as #1. And either go the cheap mechanical hardware means and mode of stripping out the secondary plates and eliminating the O2 sensor or the expensive TuneBoy software route.

50,000 :bch:

I'm not following, what do you mean it is an 05 or a 07 tourer. and the second paragraph really lost me...........

I'm with Her3tic on this one, my first question would be if this was in fact a true 2006 model. R3 Standards and Classics came with black engines only since 2006. The notable exception being the 2007 Classic Tourer.

It looks like it has the plate relocation kit on it as well.

I'm not 100% positive but it looks like it doesn't have a cat box behind the engine. That would be another sign that it's an 05 instead of an 06.

oh, btw, welcome to the site. you're one step ahead already by checking here before you buy.

As far as models go:

2006 - Standard and Classic. Both with black engines. Classic has boards instead of pegs and 2-tone colors. There may have been some SE models but I'm not 100% on that one. A Cat Box was added this year but its guts were empty, just a shell.

2007 - Standards and Classic. Same as 2006. People were adding enough shields, bags and racks to Classics that Triumph introduced a package called the Classic Tourer. The notable exception was that it had a silver engine instead of black. Also, the cat box got its internals.

Tdog, Since I am just a female Captain that rides an '05 with her Honey Bear that also rides and '05 I won't get into the technical sides that you have asked about and the others have commented on. But I will tell you that if you plan to have a passenger on a regular basis you will need to replace that passenger seat. Especially if she plans to ride further than about 30 miles.

Originally when I bought my bike I did all kinds of research on the bike and the possible accessories. But since then I haven't kept up with that aspect. Plus I have my bike pretty much the way I want it. But one clear memory is that seat! Ouch! And other ladies I have talked to that has to sit it while waiting for a better one to arrive all said the same thing.

If you get it have fun and watch out for the bugs in your teeth because you will be all smiles.

Back