long open bend at high speed.

relax

.020 Over
Hi, I tried today something I don't do usually, just to test. On a very long open bend, a little downhill, I felt a little waving from the rear side. Not bouncing, more like as if the bike tried to unbend by itself, to straighten up, so waving is the best I can describe it.
I was going fast to do this test, over 110
Could this be because of the stock rear shocks? I weight about 170 pounds.

Hi, I tried today something I don't do usually, just to test. On a very long open bend, a little downhill, I felt a little waving from the rear side. Not bouncing, more like as if the bike tried to unbend by itself, to straighten up, so waving is the best I can describe it.
I was going fast to do this test, over 110
Could this be because of the stock rear shocks? I weight about 170 pounds.

The sensation you were feeling is probably something called "wallowing". In essence, the suspension on your bike is not properly set up for hi speed turns. You may have had the spring preload in the softest position coupled with the shocks on your rocket not being adjustable so you cannot tune the damping characteristics (rebound and compression). Stock suspension components on bikes are typically too soft for anyone over 150 lbs, especially at hi rates of speed.

Bob

I see. Indeed the pavement wasn't up to par with the speed and yes, the stock shocks are set soft (possition #1). Anyway I ordered some progressives so I will find soon how much the shocks have to do with it. Thank you..

Pig9r said, "or road surface". Did you notice any hair lines in the roadway as you were strolling along. Any crowning in the lane.

They're always the first to be blamed: OEM shocks. Before you go and blow $400+ on more shocks try jacking the preload up above the first setting. I've not had the benefit of seeing the specs and valving diagrams on the OEM shocks. Who makes the OEM shocks, Progressive Suspension's 3rd shift? I'm going to assume anyone stating that the RIII OEM shocks are crap (any OEM shocks for anyone otherthan a lightweight Asian or horse jockey) has been privy to this information. Blanket statements should be reserved for politicians.

Last edited:
Whatever it was it wasn't a pleasant situation... And I am not sure about the shocks being the cause, really. I never felt this same behaviour in my very short experience with my RIII, though it was the first time I twisted the throttle that much in a long bend...

What's the mileage on the rear skin? RU an aggressive rider? What pressures do you run front and rear?
Just a 1000 miles for the whole bike. Ocassionaly and for a couple of minutes my driving can be considered as aggressive, like in the moment that happened. I was driving near the speedo limit but still had some torque.

Back