So crankshaft position sensors double as knock sensors now?
And a misfire is the same thing as knock?
And loading a map and not resetting adaptives is adapting the crankshaft position sensor?
And resetting adaptations means having to recalibrate the crank position sensor?

I am HUGELY confused.
Yup, you're right, I made the assumption that the "misfire detection system" is the only way they could detect detonation in the absence of an acoustic-style knock sensor, which it doesn't have. And no, knock and misfire are not the same. I guessed (assumed) the same as Penner that bad enough detonation could alter the engine firing enough to be detected. *shrugs*, my bad.

On the second half of your confusion (the rabbit hole I went down by experience), the crankshaft position sensor is "adapted" from the factory and shouldn't need to be messed with. When loading a tune, if you wanted to, you could do the "12-minute idle" adaption. From the manual:
"1. Make sure the engine is cold.
2. WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE, start the engine and allow it to warm up until the cooling fan comes on.
3. Leave the engine to idle for a further 12 minutes." (so warm-up plus 12 minutes total)

When you force reset the adaptions (what I did) it resets fuelling, throttle, twist grip and crankshaft position. And while it will readapt fuelling when running, and throttle and twist grip adaptions when you go through the reset cruise control procedure, you have to force the crankshaft position re-adaption using software. So you should just load the map and ride.

100%. Just ride it after you follow the loading procedure. Don’t reset the adaptions unless you really feel like recalibrating the crank sensor and resetting the cruise control…;)
100%. Just ride it after you follow the loading procedure. Don’t reset the adaptions unless you really feel like recalibrating the crank sensor and resetting the cruise control…;)
So we all know the problems youve had when resetting the adaptive controls, but have you, or do you know of anyone thats done a first time tune install on a new bike and NOT reset the adaptive feature? What were the results of going down that path???

I highly recommend not to do the reset,
The engine has learned a lot of useful data while running and there is nothing that would interfere with your new map.
The 12min idle is okay and can do no harm.
But don´t hit that button in Tune ECU.

I highly recommend not to do the reset,
The engine has learned a lot of useful data while running and there is nothing that would interfere with your new map.
The 12min idle is okay and can do no harm.
But don´t hit that button in Tune ECU.

there will always be two that will hit the button lol

Back