After 5 years my Ramair filter is getting shabby to say the least . I am considering the pros and cons of fitting pod filters thru a cut bear claw , a look I really like . The KnN 40-40s would be the best bet but I have a left knee snagging problem . To this end , I definitely need an offset flange , the only ones I can find are the RU 1770s with a 20 degree offset. Has anyone used these ? I'm not sure the airflow would be enough with the shorts , which are 4 inches or thereabouts , so considering the 6 inch ? Any help here guys would be greatly appreciated !
Nat - on a standard block a RAMAIR flows more than enough. But aesthetics may dictate other options. If you go for fully exposed K&N - make sure you fit the rain covers. Apart from the obvious plus - they will reduce the clean/re-oil frequency. And should help keep your knee cleaner.

My POV is that leaving the claw on is what keeps my left knee clean-ish. Have tried all sorts of open filter and always end up with a well oiled left knee.

Hi Nath...i have these 2780 jobbies...We cut the bearclaw away with a cutting disc which if you take your time, works well.
I have some home made aluminium inserts glued in there with araldite...a cobber of mine used some axle covers off an old Harley on his. It fills the recess nicely. They dont interfere with the knees too much either.
download (1).jpg

20190311_181910.jpg

20190311_181934.jpg

I used 3 tapered K and n's with an angled base. Have them turned up a little more now than the picture shows. My knee clears alright, but I'm only 5'6". Don't remember part numbers.
IMAG0420.jpg
IMAG0424.jpg
Hey Carl , that looks sweet ! I would certainly snag that badly tho at 6' 2" .
This idea is becoming problematic .
Thanks for your input . :thumbsup:

Hi Nat

My 4040's are set up like this using silicone hoses and some carefully cut PVC pipe from our workshop however even tipped forward my knee still does hit them but its a compromise I'm prepared to live with.

When cutting the blue hoses the trick is that every pipe is a different length.

For the record if I was sensible I would refit the bear claw and use the 2780's. Have done this on my "stock" R3.

20180203_091217.jpg
Thanks sleeves , that's a great look . I have pondered the 2780s , and cutting the bear claw to expose just 1 and 2 . That is certainly food for thought! :thumbsup:

Nat - on a standard block a RAMAIR flows more than enough. But aesthetics may dictate other options. If you go for fully exposed K&N - make sure you fit the rain covers. Apart from the obvious plus - they will reduce the clean/re-oil frequency. And should help keep your knee cleaner.

My POV is that leaving the claw on is what keeps my left knee clean-ish. Have tried all sorts of open filter and always end up with a well oiled left knee.
Cheers Chris . It is purely aesthetics that are giving me this line of thought , but an oily knee I can do without !

Hi Nath...i have these 2780 jobbies...We cut the bearclaw away with a cutting disc which if you take your time, works well.
I have some home made aluminium inserts glued in there with araldite...a cobber of mine used some axle covers off an old Harley on his. It fills the recess nicely. They dont interfere with the knees too much either.
download (1).jpg

20190311_181910.jpg

20190311_181934.jpg
Great to hear from you Tal , it's been too long . I think you nailed it there mate . Also , I see you have not had to relocate the recovery tank . Do you have a part number for the filter on the AIT? :thumbsup:

Great to hear from you Tal , it's been too long . I think you nailed it there mate . Also , I see you have not had to relocate the recovery tank . Do you have a part number for the filter on the AIT? :thumbsup:
Cheers Nath...the small blue filter is on I got fom an auto parts place...it's purely to be protection to the bulbous end of the AIT sensor..just as long as it's tied somewhere close to the air filter so as to record the same air temp....

Back