Kick stand question

Yes that can pretty much ruin your day. I'm not going to use any names but if someone was to use loctite red on the bolts the threads will come out of the engine case still glued to the bolts. Fortunately they make that thread size in helicoil's and helicoils and thread inserts are easy to install especially when its not a thru hole. The mechanic that got crazy on mine even used it on the top shock mount bolts. At first I thought they were cross threaded. But by then I already dealt with the side stand so I realized the mechanic must have been a proctological neurosurgeon :)

I ripped the side stand right off the side of the Engine in a small get off some years ago.
I was able to re-attach it using what was left of the original boss's on the cases, and supporting the load (when the bike was on the side stand) on the L/H footrest rail.
That was back in 2014, it's never been a problem since.

I ripped the side stand right off the side of the Engine in a small get off some years ago.
I was able to re-attach it using what was left of the original boss's on the cases, and supporting the load (when the bike was on the side stand) on the L/H footrest rail.
That is really unlucky and does look like a slightly weak point of design. You are the 3rd R3 owner i have heard of this happening to. Did you drop the bike on it hard or did it fall in some way?

That is really unlucky and does look like a slightly weak point of design. You are the 3rd R3 owner i have heard of this happening to. Did you drop the bike on it hard or did it fall in some way?
Mike this is a storm in a tea cup, there's some one on face book making a scene out of this for absolutely no reason. (Paranoia)
This is the third time you have heard of this ? out of how many Rockets made ? 30,000 ? (A guess)
I wouldn't call this a weak design when as you have read here, no one has heard of this happening, bar Paddy O some time ago.
There was one Guy in the U.K. (I think) that kept his bike outside and in severe cold the metal became brittle and the cases let go, what we don't know of coarse is how was the bike parked ? Was it leant over at an extreme angle with a lot of weight on the side stand ? Who knows.

As I said at the beginning "I had a small get off" meaning that I biffed the bike on a corner and slid down the road on the L/H side ripping the entire stand off the Engine.
I repaired this back to a usable standard with out stripping the Engine, and with out any welding of the cases.
Again, as I said earlier, that was back in 2014 with no further problems.

20200118_112520.jpg

20200118_112540.jpg

20200118_112604.jpg

20200118_112751A.jpg

my guess would be that if u try to take both straps down equal then the stand would be in the way and probably break.
had mine on the truck but i did straps myself. no problem

Well im glad you learned your lesson:p

Back