Paul Hyland

Turbocharged
OK, I have been looking for a new ridding jacket and have a question or two. I see a lot of people have been going to cardora how is that material as far as strength skidding along the concrete. I have always worn leather in the past but the weather down here gets to hot and even with vented jackets sitting in traffic on a 100 deg. day is a killer. I am looking at a jacket at my triumph dealer the is cardora with vents a zip out liner and protectors. I know the cardors will let more air in but how well will the material protect me in the unfortunate event I leave the comfort of my bike.

I lived in South FLA for a number of years, and riding in the summertime down there SUCKS!

But you do it anyway. I had a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket that I used. It was the free-flow mesh, and it had a zip in liner that you could use in the South Florida 'winter'.

It's a great summer jacket. On the really hot days, you can get a huge amount of ventalation to keep cool. Go visit your local ****** rocket shop and they will have them.

Thanks

I have seen them. I will probably be getting one or something like it this summer, but I am looking for something a little warmer now still gets cool at nigh here. What is the mesh made of and is it durable?

Paul I think most the protection the textile jackets offer are in the form of the removable pads that are in the elbows and shoulders. A nice feature of the triumph jackets is that they can zip into pants to keep them from coming up if skidding feet first. Some have adding panels sewn into the lower back. I am doubt any would be as good as leather, but every foot of pavement you can skid across on something other than your bare skin is a plus. The Triumph jeans have kevlar sewn into areas too.

Paul,
Here are the spec from their site. I could not find any specs for the construction, but it's nylon-ish. The pads are easily removed. I used the 'waterprrof liner' as my 'second season' wear. The liner kept the air from getting through to your skin... along with a long-sleeved shirt it was fine for the SFL winter. I don't know what the Sahara vest is, so I cannot answer any questions there.

Men's Textile Jacket
  • Free-air™ poly/mesh shell
  • Removable waterproof liner
  • C.E. rated protectors in shoulders and elbows
  • Removable spine pad with pocket for optional C.E. spine protector
  • Elastic sleeve adjusters
  • Sure Fit™ adjustable waistband
  • Zippers for optional Sahara vest
  • 8" zipper for pant attachment
  • Reflective stripe
  • Pocket for audio device with port for wire
  • Pocket for face shield storage
If you what to get the pants... they 'zip' the jacket as well.

Men's Textile Pants
  • Free-air™ poly/mesh shell
  • Height adjustable C.E. rated knee protectors
  • Rock Tex™ seat reinforcement
  • Full length side zippers
  • 8" zipper for jacket attachment
  • Reflective stripe

Last edited:
Paul as far as protection they are about the same, the extra padding is nice but it can be hard for some to get used to. They fit a bit different with Leather being a bit more pliable, and for me diesnt ever get quite as comfy, I have both and ride with both, the mesh is for warm weather riding it wont keep you warm. As far as keeping warm I think they are about equal as well. Leather is usally quite more expensive however.

Freak

Thanks

Thanks for all the input, my girl friend made the decision for me while I was up in Salt Lake City the past 2 days. She got us some Triumph cardora jackets with the zip out liner and removable armor.

Back