Klim Badlands Pro Jacket

Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
A little history, I commute and pleasure ride an average of 700km a week, rain or shine. I currently own 4 jackets for different weather scenarios and this doesn’t include a rain suit that I pack in my saddle bags everyday. Living on the coast, rain is inevitable.

I’m thinking of investing in a 4 season jacket that is waterproof as my everyday, all the time jacket. Anybody have experience with Klim? I know they “classify” this jacket as Adventure touring but as far as I’m concerned it’s a motorcycle jacket...

I like the specs for safety, the reviews on venting in hot weather and the fact it’s waterproof, no more need to haul rain gear....and be to lazy to put it on when I know I’m going to get caught in the rain and subsequently freeze all the way home...

Are Halvarssons and Rukka available there? - I know nothing about Klim (other than the price here). But would happily place my trust in the Swedes or Finns - I have and do.

Is the waterproof part laminated to the outer shell or a drop liner? - If water is a concern this REALLY matters.

Are Halvarssons and Rukka available there? - I know nothing about Klim (other than the price here). But would happily place my trust in the Swedes or Finns - I have and do.

Is the waterproof part laminated to the outer shell or a drop liner? - If water is a concern this REALLY matters.

3 part laminate shell (Gore-Tex). I won’t purchase a jacket with a drop liner. Better off just wearing a rain suite IMHO.
Rukka is now avalible in the USA but I can’t find a dealer in Canada. I have researched Rukka and I do like them and as for price as compared to Klim, similar. Depending on the model, I find Klim may vent better. If your not familiar with Klim I would consider Rukka an apple to apple comparison. Halvarsson I’m not familiar with.

I do have a Rukka (don't recall which) and Klim Badlands. But it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. The Rukka is for cooler temps. Two, maybe three seasons at best. The Badlands is a recent purchase and I've only used it once on a 4-day trip to Death Valley on an enduro. Lots of temperature fluctuations, but nothing extreme. Not too hot and not too cold. It does what it was intended to do very well. A hell of a lot more pockets on the outside than I will ever need but still looks okay in my opinion. In general, I don't like Adventure styled jackets, but I think this one looks better than most, has venting all over the place, pockets galore, including one for a hydration pack if one is so inclined, quality protection at the elbow shoulders and back. I doubt I will be using it much when I ride on the street. But I bought it to use during off road trips, where I would be riding for at least several days at a time and hopefully weeks. I got it as a close out through RevZilla. I think I would have difficulty sleeping at night if I paid full price. Especially since I know I'm going to kiss the ground and get it dirty. But of course, that's what it is intended for.

My Olympia Airglide 5 is a mesh & super for AGATT at warm temp 75 - 100+.
It has a water/wind proof liner that can be worn under for cooler temps or outside for rain.
There is also a thermal liner, that I very seldom use.
I have used this jacket in long rides from 35° to 117°, in & out of the rain, with great success.

The Rukka is for cooler temps..
Whilst it IS a commercial site - This is sort of an interesting read. It makes distinct notes regarding temp ranges.

Our Top Ten Motorcycle Touring Suits

At the moment I am looking at REVIT! - mainly because their gear now ALL comes with CE-2 armour. And I think (awaiting confirmation) they use stuff like Dyneema.
And for the WET - MACNA - partly due to their reflective offerings and also the very neat fixing system for liners - esp sleeves.
Oddly (or maybe not) Both Dutch.

I got a pair of Macna bib and braces trousers with detachable cold weather quilted lining brand new for just Au$55 on a Get Geared UK closeout last year - great quality gear. SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO BE FAT ! :D:thumbsup:

Never thought much about it but when I went down with a textile jacket it looked like the shoulder that touched the pavement exploded off my shoulder. When I started asking questions I discovered that racers all wear leather. Leather allows you to slide, while a textile jacket makes you roll. Even though the textile jacket protected me , I wear leather , mostly.

I got a pair of Macna bib and braces trousers with detachable cold weather quilted lining brand new for just Au$55 on a Get Geared UK closeout last year - great quality gear. SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO BE FAT ! :D:thumbsup:
I am told they are sized on the slim side. What say you?

I am told they are sized on the slim side. What say you?

I got MONSTER size which even float on me big time and require knotting/ shortening the braces. But WTF bib and braces are supposed to be loose fit.
They don''t come any bigger.

Not mine, it was Elephant sized and really far too big for EVEN me who just fits in a XXXL Triumph Jacket. ;):D:eek::roll::roll::whitstling::whitstling:

Macna Motorcycle Clothing Size Chart ▷ FC-Moto
Ordering size 12XL
German size ---
Chest circumference (cm) 130 - 152
Waist circumference (cm) 131-166

But Fug it, under a jacket they are not going to fall off and makes them easy to get into anyway!

Last edited:
Back