Hi guys, my names Mike and im from British Columbia, Canada. I just purchased a 2005 Rocket III and even though Ive only taken it around the block and parked it for the winter im in love.

I plan to leave it stock for a season until i get used to the bike as i come from riding enduros so its a big change in riding style and power for me. But as a very big and tall person the bike fits me perfectly and i cant wait for the spring!

I have a few question for you guys if you dont mind,

I did lots of research before i bought the bike and it all looked amazing which is why i bought it but now that ive done some more digging im worried about the transmission problems in the early bikes, is there a fix or recall for it? Im sketched out that it could lock up at any speed pretty much without notice.

And what are some begginer mods for the bike, the only thing i plan to do is start to black out the chrome and see if i can find a way to make it a little louder :)
Welcome from sunny Edmonton Mike. Took mine down the street to top up the tank on Sunday, 10cm on Wednesday. Looks like the season is over for me. I head to the coast once a year on mine, might do highway 3 next year instead of the Coquihalla

Hi guys, my names Mike and im from British Columbia, Canada. I just purchased a 2005 Rocket III and even though Ive only taken it around the block and parked it for the winter im in love.

I plan to leave it stock for a season until i get used to the bike as i come from riding enduros so its a big change in riding style and power for me. But as a very big and tall person the bike fits me perfectly and i cant wait for the spring!

I have a few question for you guys if you dont mind,

I did lots of research before i bought the bike and it all looked amazing which is why i bought it but now that ive done some more digging im worried about the transmission problems in the early bikes, is there a fix or recall for it? Im sketched out that it could lock up at any speed pretty much without notice.

And what are some begginer mods for the bike, the only thing i plan to do is start to black out the chrome and see if i can find a way to make it a little louder :)

Welcome from Toronto Mike. This is the best place to learn what you need to know about your Rocket. Enjoy it.. its the most awesome ride on the planet!

Exactly... and then get it to handle better so that you can use the speed safely. There is tons of info here on how to do that.
By comfy I refer to chassis suspension as well as botty suspension.

Riding position too. imo the first thing to do (after a brief acclimatisation period) is sit on the bike WHERE YOU WANT TO SIT - and get a mate to measure up where the bars SHOULD be and replace them. Although if you're going to get a Russell (etc) seat made, do that first. Next Suspension - then (if needed - and on an R3 it probably is not) Brakes. Rubber is a bit of a trial and error thing as tyres suit riding styles. Then ENGINE/PIPES/FILTERS etc. Most of us do exactly the reverse.

Welcome from Maine, where winter is close,
I had to add height to the seat and used longer rear shocks to get really comfy, I'm 6-3 with a long inseam and 66 so not so flexable, but I'm perfictly happy now,

Hoopla

Back