Big Mike

Standard Bore
Ride
05 Triumph Rocket III
Hi guys, my names Mike and im from British Columbia, Canada. I just purchased a 2005 Rocket III and even though Ive only taken it around the block and parked it for the winter im in love.

I plan to leave it stock for a season until i get used to the bike as i come from riding enduros so its a big change in riding style and power for me. But as a very big and tall person the bike fits me perfectly and i cant wait for the spring!

I have a few question for you guys if you dont mind,

I did lots of research before i bought the bike and it all looked amazing which is why i bought it but now that ive done some more digging im worried about the transmission problems in the early bikes, is there a fix or recall for it? Im sketched out that it could lock up at any speed pretty much without notice.

And what are some begginer mods for the bike, the only thing i plan to do is start to black out the chrome and see if i can find a way to make it a little louder :)

Hi Mike and a warm hearty welcome from England. Beginner mods? No such thing! Once you start it will be full speed ahead. For advice and ideas you have come to the best place on the web..sit back and enjoy the responses and the almost unlimited information available:D:D

Welcome from Scotland Mike,I wouldn't be too worried about transmission probs only a small number of bikes have a problem .I owned 2 different 05 models and between them clocked up around 50k miles.

Hi Mike and a warm hearty welcome from England. Beginner mods? No such thing! Once you start it will be full speed ahead. For advice and ideas you have come to the best place on the web..sit back and enjoy the responses and the almost unlimited information available:D:D
Thank you and yeah i know that feeling, i have that issue with my car haha. I already have my eyes on pipes cat delete triple air filter and a tune but i want to do some research and ride the bike stock first

Welcome from Scotland Mike,I wouldn't be too worried about transmission probs only a small number of bikes have a problem .I owned 2 different 05 models and between them clocked up around 50k miles.
Thats good to know, the bike has 30k miles on it and has been babied its whole life, the little test drive i did it seemed solid the trans shifted fine and the clutch was smooth. I dont mind fixing the bike if i half too but im scared of it locking up at 100kmph

Welcome from central NY, from another newb.... still Rocket searching.

Initially I was concerned about the transmission problems too, but not so much after lurking here and elsewhere, and reading up on the Rockets. I think (could be wrong of course) some or maybe allot of the trans problems may be the result of not using the best of skills and or judgement, whilst taking advantage of the +140 HP. Just hope I can control myself when the day comes that I find my very own Rocket :)

Ask any Triumph dealer to check out your VIN to see if clutch upgrade was done (ie transmission recall work completed). Either call in or ring them. All dealers have access to those records and are usually happy to provide any info they have on your bike's history (from Triumph's own service centre database).
Welcome from Queensland Australia.

Back