Important Dyno PC3/TB Tip

MiamiDave

Supercharged
A dyno tune, even not the greatest one-is the way to go. I've dynoed multiple toys, and you always end up with a better, smoother, cooler, faster running beast. You can also ask your mech to lean it slightly for the part throttle applications and not lose as much mileage as one would think... 8)

Get your throttle TPS adjusted, and make sure you or your mech "zeros" out the throttle after on the PC3. In short, if your TPS is off on it's reading, you dyno tune will be good, but once the sensor gets adjusted for it tuneup, your dyno tune is now off.

This can be critical later on. For instance, you spend $300++ on a dyno tune, and your bike goes in for service, and the mechs adjust your TPS. Bam your tune is now slightly off-negating what the hell you paid for.

Tune go out of synch for this reason, as cables and springs stretch slighly out of spec, a rest is in order. Reset before the dyno tune.

Also, clean your airfilters and run them for at least 100 miles to clear possible over oiling.

Change your oil. The dyno is a heavy workout on parts...give her fresh oil. Oil with 1,000 miles on it is not as good a fresh oil.

Check your air pressure and get it to stock.

Adjust your clutch to spec to ensure adequate clamping.

Tell your tuner you want the more conservative (more realistic) of the two sets of numbers, and you want a conservative tune (don't want to be on the razor's edge for one more HP if environmental conditions change and put you too lean-however slight.

This has been mentioned either in whole or in part, but I figured I would just bring it up.

Change your plugs.

I just informed my local store FTL Triumph, as they are now installing PC3's on brand new Triumphs as an option.

Just letting them know if the guy wants a dyno tune, check the TPS prior. They invited me to the unveiling of the Ducati Multistrada and have set two appointments for folks to hear my Jardines during the event... 8) Ok, where's my check!! :shock:

hombre said:
I read my TPS voltage using TuneBoy with ignition on, but bike NOT RUNNING. This is the instruction given in the R3 manual regarding TPS voltage (page 11.127). Mine seems correct to me after my replacing and resetting the TPS (bike runs wicked), and my Dealer did not need to make any adjustments when they ran checks after transmission repair.

Given the sensitivity of the TPS, it makes sense that there would be a different reading with bike running. However, I did notice that it takes awhile (60 seconds or more) for TuneBoy to update changes on the sensor page... whether this is a slow computer or a slow TuneBoy program is unknown to me.

Hope this helps... but it occurs to me, how the hell would you EVER reset TPS voltage with the bike running, TX?

hombre

I have to agree, I've checked mine numerous times, always with the bike off ignition on. I've also checked it side by side with the Triumph diagnostic tool
and the difference between the two was never more than .01 volts.
Sorry Tex, that hurt me more than you. :)

talltxguy33 said:
My TPS voltage was reported as .67 by Tuneboy. However, my Triumph mechanic read it as .62.

Please excuse my ignorance as I will do the best to explain what he explained to me. He told me that the Triumph diagostic tool reads the voltage with the bike off, something about measuring static something as opposed to Tuneboy reading the voltage while the bike is running. He said that if I were to have adjusted the .67 reading down to the acceptable range (.58 - .62) with Tuneboy, then I would actually be lowering the voltage below the minimum standard. He wasn't ripping on Tuneboy at all but just said that it reads higher.

Perhaps a few of the more mechanically-inclined can comment on this. :?
I have to update what I said before
I had been thinking about this today and I decided to go back and check again, both with engine running and without it running.
This is what I found.
Engine cold, ignition on, engine not running TPS .67.
Engine cold, engine running TPS .60.

Engine warm, ignition on, engine not running TPS .635.
Engine warm, engine running TPS .60.

I can't explain the discrepancy, but for whatever reason I seem to get the
correct reading with the engine running. :?

Back