Idle Recall / Idle Service Bulletin - Results and Review

Geek_Law

Supercharged
Hey guys. Don't know if this is old news or not, but I just had the idle box recall work done on my '05 Rocket.

I hadn't actually noticed a problem with the idle, I suppose it ran a little rougher than I would expect from a fuel injected engine, but it's a motorcycle, so what are ya gonna do?

Anyway, I got the recall done because it was free, and because I didn't want a problem to develop. However, after the work was completed, the bike runs MUCH smoother! I was pleasantly surprised. So that's it, got the recall done, and it resulted in much improved idle smoothness and responsiveness at low speeds.

Spencer

PS: The dealer said they could not test drive my bike to verify the results due to the "non-standard rear tire." I was cracking up ... guess they were afraid of taking a spin on the darkside.

Yeah, I hope it stays set too. I don't actually know what they did. I know they plugged into the ECU, so I may screw those changes up when I load a new tune. However, they also got under the gas tank, so who knows what they did mechanically.

Oh well, never was too fussed. I wasn't having the idle sticking problems or stalling problems (yet?!?!), just a little rough idle that I wasn't even conscious of prior to the "fix."

386, I believe, refers to the recall/firmware update to the ECU - it is NOT a tune. You can view the latest tunes on the TuneBoy site

After the update, they (the dealer) reset the voltage on the TPS and idle stepper motor, plus download the most current tune and then run the bike for at least 12 minutes at idle (the 12 minutes starts from when the fan kicks in for the first time - AKA 12 minute tune)

Other than the frimware update, you can do all this yourself using TuneBoy - hitting reset adapt will save you sitting around waiting for a full 12 minute tune (I let it idle for a little while), but don't tell your dealer I said that cuz he'll think it's bull****

BTW, I have experienced the hanging revs - resetting the voltage fixes it, sometimes for 5000+ miles, but other times for only 1000. Triumph still need to solve this problem

Others who know better will be along to confirm or deny the above . . .

Back