I was bummed before, now I'm just pissed!

Goblin

.020 Over
Ok, so after spending a whack of cash and time a the dealer getting my bike to run right...it did, for about 2 days. After replacing the TPS and stepper (idler) motor, they recalibrated everything, and it seemed to magically run fine.
I spent hours of blissful riding on a machine that ran like I'm sure it's supposed to.
Today however, I'm dismayed to find that it's back to its old tricks of idling poorly, and revving by itself up to 2,000+ rpm. Also when trying to hold a steady speed, it feels as though it's losing power again. Holy cr_p! Is there a special ritual or blessing that I should be performing before touching the key??!! And what's worse, the dealer is baffled! Not what I was hoping to hear from them...
So, does anybody here have an answer as to how I might be able to own a properly running Rocket? (short of buying a new one that is...)

Checked your other thread and saw where you were going to clean the crankshaft sensor. Have you done that yet? If not, it only takes a couple of minutes. Some have great luck with this easy fix.

Are you running a power commander or some other fuel management gizmo? If so, you might check to see if it's functioning properly. A buddy of mine had a PC on his Road King and all was well for a couple of years and then, while were on a trip, the bike started running poorly and the gas mileage went down dramatically (20s). Come to find out the PC was hosed. He unhooked it and the bike started running good again.

Haven't cleaned the crank sensor yet, as I was going to have the dealer do it with my next oil change next week. Now that the bike is running rough again, I'm going to tackle the job myself. Thanks!

By the way, the bike did have a Power Commander hooked up by a previous owner, but it's been removed. Is it possible that a setting didn't return to 'normal'?

If the PCIII was removed, I would check and see if the O2 sensor was hooked back up or if there is a bypass still installed. But clean that crank angle sensor first.:D

Ok, just cleaned the crank sensor as you advised and unfortunately, no change.
Still running rough. I tried something else though, and it seemed to make the bike idle smoothly. I remember that a friend of mine adjusted my throttle cable slightly when I complained of having no throttle play. After tightening the cable up as much as I could with my fingers, I turned the bike back on and it idled smoothly.
Enough so, that I was able to go through a 10-12 minute tune. I haven't driven it yet, but it would be nice if that were the culprit. If not, I've got a 12 gauge and I could use the target practice...

Back