I can’t believe we made it

417346cc03f3c657d4842d0acf574744.jpg

I remember my buddy and I shoveling driveways from 8:00 in the morning until well after dark, we made $100 each, and I remember my dad telling me that I made as much money that day as he did, a grown man.

Late 50s, on the way home from Sunday church my older brother and sister and I would sit on the tailgate of the family Chevy wagon for the 5-6 mile ride home. Being the youngest I sat between them and they would hold on to me to keep me from bouncing or slipping off the tailgate LOL. Do that now and Pops would end up in the slammer. Ah the good ol' daze (o:

I had a paper route when I was 12-13 years old. I delivered the papers out of a bag hanging off my bicycle. When my route grew too large to get all the papers delivered on time I threw the bag over the hood of Mom's Pontiac, leaned against the windshield and tossed the papers. Kinda think that would be frowned on these days. That's assuming of course there are still such things as paper boys.

We still get the paper delivered -- all adults these days racing by in a pickup with a practiced left arm toss either out or over.

No seatbelts for us either -- handy disciplinary function -- sister and I squabbled all the time and past some threshold we never figured out, the brakes would slam throwing us into the back of the front seats. Typically, no words were exchanged -- just settled things.

I too had a paper route for a short time -- hard work wasn't for me -- used a Flyer red wagon.

And mowing lawns in 1969 - 50 cents a yard - enough yards to just afford the $6.50 ticket for Three Dog Night at the football stadium. I remember a couple next to me making out, and I was too curious, and the guy at one point said, "Here kid, tickets for the front row." I took it and went down there -- no one was checking -- but I figured out real quick if I stayed there I'd would be deaf.

Oh those were the bad old days.

Oh, and buying M-80s -- then later when couldn't buy them anymore, being able to order the aluminum powder and make my own.

And yes -- strapping a *borrowed* AR-15 on my shoulder, 200 rounds .223 in my book bag, taking the school bus to school - dropping the firearm in the geometry former-Marine teacher's office, then shooting at the school range after class.

Back