How are the Flipmeister Stiffeners?

I ordered the pannier stiffener kit from flip, and had asked for some additional details regarding installation in general and the fasteners in particular. Seems like this information might be of interest to others considering purchase; here's his reply:

[FONT=&quot]The Specialty Fasteners attach the liners to the Panniers, 12 per Pannier. It is basically impossible to glue the liners in as any glue that will adhere to the polyethylene will not adhere to the leather. In addition, you want to allow the liners and the Panniers to have a bit of flexibility, especially when you apply the liners because what happens to the Panniers is simply, the Panniers when new and unused are square and parallel to the plastic backer (the backer is where the Pannier fastens to the Pannier rails that are bolted to the motorcycle). When you load the Panniers, the load places a downward pull on the Panniers and causes the sag and the buckle in the lid flap and on the Pannier itself. The Polyethylene liner is rigid, so when you attach the liner (per my enclosed with the kit instructions), it will force the Pannier to assume a square (as it was when it was new and unused) condition, plus the liner will carry the load placed in the Pannier from then on, not the Pannier itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sometime ago, I did a poll on R3owners.net as to color preferences for the Specialty Fasteners and silver and black were overwhelmingly the favorites. Though I can get the Specialty Fasteners in different finishes, simply the fact that they are special ordered parts and not a common item, I only stock them in black and silver. They have quite a bit of lead time and I have to purchase them in substantial quantities as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are 12 fasteners per liner and lid liner. 4 for the lid liner (one in each corner-on top) and 8 for the Pannier Liner (2 at the back above the Velcro which are hidden when the flap is in place, 2 on the bottom, 2 halfway up on the front side and finally 2 above the Velcro on the front side which are again hidden when the flap is in place). The most obvious ones are the Specialty Fasteners that secure the lid liner to the lid itself. They are in plain sight on the top.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The outside head of the Specialty Fasteners are the same diameter as the OEM rivets that secure the buckles to the Pannier itself and you can have them in either silver or black, your choice, but, I need to know which color you prefer.[/FONT]

Back