Hi from Long Island

Welcome aboard Bus Man..Danny. A few years back I traveled to Long Island via JFK. The City was not my thing (too many people) and the 55 mile (9 hour Van trip to the Hotel, accidents, construction, etc.) out the Long Island Expressway (HEHEHE now theres an oxy moron) was no joke...but once I arrived at my destination the experience became very enjoyable. The West Hamptons are a real contrast to the neighboring population center. Do you ride mostly out on the island itself?

Since you have already owned other bikes the only thing I can tell you is (IMHO) that the RIII is the biggest, fastest cruiser on the planet. Nothing else compares. With regard to the Standard or Tourer...it depends on your taste in how much or how little extras you want to tote around. Mine is the Tourer because we like to jump on board and go for day rides of 250-300 miles every Saturday. The Classic still had the power and agility to take the corners with the best of them if thats what you like. Which ever you decide you will be happy with the performance of the bike. If you require a little more than average performance....you can find access to that on this site also.

Good Luck, ask questions, and post often...SB:D

Yes, Long Island is definitely a............long island. Not much else (except if you like beaches...and I don't) and definitely not much of a place for my kind of riding. It DOES have a nice road but it's straight as an arrow.... 25 miles on the south shore along side the endless stretches of beach. Just about all of my riding these days starts with a 40 mile ride to a town on the north shore.....getting on a 1 hour ferry going across the Long Island Sound and winding up on the south shore of Connecticut. Within ten miles or so north of there it starts getting nice. For the next 2 or 3 days I'm in the mountains of New England (Vermont and New Hampshire) or I swing west to the Adirondack Mts of upstate NY.

If you are verticallly challanged, just remember floorboards, such as on the Tourer, splay your legs out a bit further at a stop, and could make it a bit more difficult to reach the ground flatfooted. (By the way, my main office is in Albertson)

If you are verticallly challanged, just remember floorboards, such as on the Tourer, splay your legs out a bit further at a stop, and could make it a bit more difficult to reach the ground flatfooted...
That's a tad misleading. Picture you're in the riding position with your dogs aboard. Your thighs are parallel to the the ground and your feet are forward and resting centered on the floorboards. At a stand still your lower portions of legs are mostly perpendicular to the ground and the floor boards are forward of your shins. There's no issue unless you're quite tall and your legs aren't "mostly" perpendicular. Now, Captain Joseph (Ft. Walton area HD convert) could truly speak to the matter of the RIII for the vertically challenged. He was comfortable enough with it that he traded in his SL HD for an RIII during the Smashville Raid. That's his Standard, with Rivco boards, he's standing in front of. It should be noted that the OEM boards are much more ground parallel than the Rivco's.

Last edited:
BUSAJACK, What kind of pipes are on your rocket? I love the way they look. What kind of performance did you get out of them? Do you just have the bottom pipe taken off for cosmetics or is the system made like that? Oh yeah, I have a 2005 black standard rocket and love it. I don't know that I would get lower powered version, just add bags, etc... to your liking.

Welcome Bus Man! I have the Tourer just like the pic that Pig9r posted except with after market saddle bags. Being the fastest color scheme it's a hoot to ride. If you get the red and cream you won't feel the need to paint a dog on the tank.... Just kidding Busa:kick::D

I don't know that I would get lower powered version

I was at the dealer yesterday and I sat on, crawled around, felt, fondled and fell for a grey and blue Tourer. It was a beaut but I think I would like the black and white one a bit more. Dealer has a black and white Tourer coming in next month with my name on it. The lower powered Touring version is out of the equation . Front and rear crash bars (and maybe color coded radiator end caps) and I'm good to go !

Back