Here's the story of my "ditch trip".

rusty, Glad you're alright, and your ole gal is fixable. Hey bro, look on the bright side. If ya gotta lay er down, its better to do it stopped than at a hundred plus.. So smile it could have been much worse. later. skip

Fall Over

Glad you and the Rocket are doing OK, sometimes the mental anguish is worse than the injuries/damage. My Rocket was my first super cruiser bagger, mainly rode my Speed Triple. Coming to a stop light and being in experienced with floor boards I managed to get my boot caught under the brake pedal. At this time the bike came to a stop and just went over on the right with my leg as padding. The cager behind me help me get free and the rubber back on the road. No damage crash bar and floor board took the impact, just a little bit embarrassing.

We were kind of like the rolling wounded on the way back. Flip has a bad output shaft bearing, my Metz was questionable at best and Rusty's bike took a beating. I'm just glad no one got hurt.

We were kind of like the rolling wounded on the way back. Flip has a bad output shaft bearing, my Metz was questionable at best and Rusty's bike took a beating. I'm just glad no one got hurt.

Baggage1 had a flat on the way home and then his bike wouldnt start when we stopped for gas in Mississippi . . . had to have it towed back to Pensacola.

Baggage1 had a flat on the way home and then his bike wouldnt start when we stopped for gas in Mississippi . . . had to have it towed back to Pensacola.

It's all about complicated machinery and thin skinned tires....****te happens. I told Tomo it was only flat on the bottom. He found no humor in that, well, about as much humor as I found in riding a blender all the way home, anticipating that at any time it was going to grenade, lock up and toss my skinny ass on the pavement. It never did but my ears were ringing for a couple days afterward from the noise. Tomo's new (1000 mile) Metz is so thin, he probably could have poked his finger through the carcass....I smell a darkside coming for him and me. I followed Britman through some blob dragging curves and watched his Raptor hold the road like glue....

I'll tell you for sure the R3 is heavy. It went over in the motel parking lot as I pulled up on arrival. We were on pea gravel and I lost my footing and over she went. I couldn't budge it myself.

Lets see, we had 3 lay down's....TonyMac, me and Rusty and no first aid needed other than maybe some ego reinflating.

Things were way more organized this year than last, thanks to Pianoman. Every year, I'm sure it will get better. It's a learning curve. Last years 'ride to Hooters' was memorable...scary memorable at 120 on the freeway, darting in and out of trucks and traffic....that didn't happen this year...we went real fast, but in splinter groups...I hung with Pigger and Britman. I figured if we got stopped for excessive speed, with 2 law enforcement officers along, somehow it would be excused....:D

Next year will be all better, Tomo will probably have a darkside, TonyMac will have his custom paintjob and a new tank, Rusty will have his fixed and I'll have a bearing or two in my blender along with a shift detent spring to remedy the rubber shifter and a new lower timing chain sprocket so we will be ready to rock the Rocks and have new adventures and meet more Rocketeers and make more friends as our RAA continues to get better and better.

Last edited:
After a Friday evening of vises, wood clamps, hammer, wood blocks and beer, the shield brackets appear to be quite proper. Lots of thought as to how best to "beat them back into shape" without sacrificing any integrity. Not perfect but with all the bracketry back on the shield, it sits flat on the work bench and appears to be in good shape. There are some superficial marks across the left side where it was "pile drived" into the ditch. All in all, I think the shield will be acceptable.

Now, what to do with the tank! I'm going to approach the guy that put the custom paint job on the old Yamaha. I'll get his wheels to spinning on something that may add charactor, or maybe I'll simply stay with the stock paint scheme.

Many thanks to those that offered assistance in getting the old gal back to a pleasing appearance. BoogerDave stated he will send his old throttle cable after he changes out his handlebars and cable for a different set. Thanks Dave.

How did Baggage1 come out after the "towing" incedent? Is his bike up a running? Can you share what the issue was or is it know yet?

Once again, all-in-all this year's gathering was memorable. Wish I could have been at the haunted college with the others.

See ya.

Last edited:
I stopped by D&D this morning and asked about Bob's bike . . seems it was a bad connection on the battery. BUT, the problem wasnt that it wasnt tight . . there was a stainless bolt on the battery that for some odd reason . . wasnt making contact with the battery. No current at all. Replaced the bolt and all was good. We checked all the connections that night and even moved the cables around trying to make a better connection . . . dunno but that's what they said. :confused:

Back