Help...Awful Front End Shake.

+1
been there, done that on this one. I can almost guarantee that it is the streering head nut not being torqued down. This allows the head bearings to be loose. Tighten the head bearing down to spec and the shaking should go away.

Had the same trouble develop on my vtx. Started slowly kept getting worse. Twas the head bearings. Letting go of the bars the bike was all but possessed by demons...

I had the same problem last summer, my front tire was cupped, I replaced it and make sure I check my pressure often. I've had no problems since.

Jim

there are a lot of things to consider if you have a front end shake. get back to the basics. tire condition and age, cupping at all? neck bearing adjustment, wheel balance, axle bearings, even the internal fork bushings could be suspect. sit on the bike on a level surface, roll the bike forward and apply the front brake sharply. if there is play in the front end from anything being worn out or loose, it'll show up there. you may want to have someone help you so they can feel any slop in the neck bearings, and listen for any clicking or thuds. i'd be leaning towards the condition of the front tire first though. if the bike has been parked for an extended period it may have developed a flat spot, or a corner like we used to say back in the day of bias tires.

hey guys i've been looking at different post with this problem. i have a 2008 r3 classic with 8500-9k miles on original front tire but the rear tire is new maybe around 1k miles on it. the front tire is cupped and i have a shake at 40-55 mph after 60 it goes away. i had it balanced checked and it was 1/4 oz off. i got 3 different answer from triumph dealers around the area. so i'm ordering a new front tire but like to know if there anything else that could be wrong. the front bearings are good the tire place checked when they checked the balance. they said the back lash was tight to one side and loose to the right but they do more harleys than other bikes. so what should the headstock torque should be or the back lash as they put should be.

The shop manual tells you how to check the headstock bearings prior to deciding to take **** apart or tigthen **** up. I recommend checking it first. I also believe a new tire will most likely solve your problem.

Back