Has anyone seen a modified, ( or "modded" ), a bear claw?

aviation1972

aviation1972
I plan on changing my stock air intake plumbing to the K&N RU-2780's with the three small, individual, air filters that fit directly over the throttle bodies, under the bear claw. Today I saw a photo of a modified bear claw. It had three, small, screened holes cut into it, directly over the positions where the three, individual, air filters would be under the bear claw. These three cut, screened, holes would allow a more free flowing, and less restrictive airflow intake, through the outer surface of the bear claw, and more directly into those air filters. Has anyone ever performed this modification, or seen it? Unfortunately, the bear claw I saw in the photo today was matte' black. Mine is chrome. Really want one though... Russell

Lots of Bear Claws have been modified by their owners. You can do it too. Or look into an OzRider's OzClaw.

More for sale 007.JPG

Thanks so much, Idaho Red Rocket 3. I'll look into it further. Thing is, I want to "pack" the air in, but if it's raining, I don't want a ready made water funnel.

FYI -
I went with an OzClaw.
First I relocated the puke jug to the frame, between the left engine guard, to maximize airflow.

Last edited:
In El Paso is the rain really something that has to be considered ? 1olbull lives near Seattle. He hasn't had any problems.

True indeed, Bill!

Do you have those Sacajaweha headlights in yet?
I am curious of what you think of them.

True indeed, Bill!

Do you have those Sacajaweha headlights in yet?
I am curious of what you think of them.
You are quite correct. In El Paso, Texas rains are a rare occurrence. Sand is a lot more prevalent. Still, I just wanted to consider everything, instead of calculating the odds of how infrequently it will probably rain. And, when long distance traveling, you can find yourself almost anywhere, in all kinds of variable weather conditions. My add-on and substitute lighting cost me around $650.00 total, instead of $350.00 per light, and that included a LED headlight, driving lights on both sides, and fog lamps on both sides. Now, I can really light up the night, ( and the desert around here ). I'm very pleased with my lights. I usually don't use most of them, but in combination, I could. An extra feeling of safety. I've already placed a high energy air horn on my left engine guard. So, as relates the bear claw air filters, would I "have to" relocate the coolant overflow bottle? Thanks all... Russell

Wrecka? Did you cut your bear claw? If yes, how did you do it? Or, did you have it done? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks... Russell

You are quite correct. In El Paso, Texas rains are a rare occurrence. Sand is a lot more prevalent. Still, I just wanted to consider everything, instead of calculating the odds of how infrequently it will probably rain. And, when long distance traveling, you can find yourself almost anywhere, in all kinds of variable weather conditions. My add-on and substitute lighting cost me around $650.00 total, instead of $350.00 per light, and that included a LED headlight, driving lights on both sides, and fog lamps on both sides. Now, I can really light up the night, ( and the desert around here ). I'm very pleased with my lights. I usually don't use most of them, but in combination, I could. An extra feeling of safety. I've already placed a high energy air horn on my left engine guard. So, as relates the bear claw air filters, would I "have to" relocate the coolant overflow bottle? Thanks all... Russell

I did a 3000 mile ride last April with the new OzClaw and Ram Air.
There was rain . . .
I put another thou on and cleaned the Ram Air before RAA XI.
The filter was not even dirty and it still had the original filter oil present.
Other than the circular opening at the front, the filter(s) are covered.
Note: With the K&N RU2780s there is NO need to cut the OEM bearclaw.

Wrecka? Did you cut your bear claw? If yes, how did you do it? Or, did you have it done? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks... Russell
Did it myself with a dremlil/cutting wheel, i used tape to mark out the line i wanted to cut, golden rule is cut less than you think you need as you cant put it back if you take to much

Back