Hardest weather to ride . . .

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
I received a freeze warning alert from the weather service this evening, with temperatures in the AM expected to be in the high 20s (F). The trick is by the afternoon the temperature is expected to be 35 degrees warmer -- and I can't practically carry two sets of gear -- well I could, but only in the morning. The bulkier gear from the morning could not fit in the space of of the thinner warmer weather gear that I would wear on the ride home.

Alas...

Wear layers. I have the same issue here in Spring - can be close to zero early on and hit mid twenties °C later on.
Generally the layers to strip off can be VERY lightweight. A simple windshirt can boost core temps a good 3-4°C.
I have a personal preference for the equipment from Buffalo Systems in the UK - but they are not what you would call cheap.
I have used their (toasty warm) mountain shirts for years. I have a windshirt on order to be delivered to my mum.

I have "developed" what I believe to be the (near) perfect travel system concept - the trip next month will see how effective it is.

I received a freeze warning alert from the weather service this evening, with temperatures in the AM expected to be in the high 20s (F). The trick is by the afternoon the temperature is expected to be 35 degrees warmer -- and I can't practically carry two sets of gear -- well I could, but only in the morning. The bulkier gear from the morning could not fit in the space of of the thinner warmer weather gear that I would wear on the ride home.

Alas...
porsche-normal.jpg

Looking forward to that update

OK here is the gear I'm taking - plus some thoughts al alternatives and some small changes.

This is my current idea - we will see how it fares in May. But based pretty much on my general gear. This is for long trips where the exact conditions can not be predicted and can/will vary.

Base layer that is ALWAYS the same. Moto-Skivees riding shorts (which are excellent) and also their riding shirt (though I will also carry a thin knitted silk shirt as a backup). But any wicking base layer will do. Cotton is useless as it stays damp.

Then mid layer -

For cooler days a Buffalo Systems Special-Six shirt Special 6 Shirt - This is sort of sweater sized and can be squished down with ease. I will be buying an UNLINED hood for it when I am in the UK. This will then fit inside the helmet for neck draught protection I have used Buffalo gear for years - it is seriously good kit. Breathes but is wind-proof to 50mph and shower proof.

For more temperate days I will be getting a Buffalo Windshirt (and hood) whilst in the UK - These pack into next to nothing.

Any warmer - no mid layer needed.

Legs - knitted silk long johns. Again these pack into nothing. Think aerobics/yoga tights.

The Protective Layer which will always be the same - I have a Buell Adventure suit. No longer made. But it is a non-waterproof suit with lots of CE protectors, anti abrasion and with really excellent venting. It is fabric which goes against my person preference these days - but I have it and it works.

I don't know the US marques so well - but in Europe there are equivalents from the Jofama Group (Halvarssons and Lindstrands) in Sweden and Rev!it in Holland. There is an interesting write up on the Revit Sand 3 suit on webbikeworld - where they discuss the concept of non waterproof gear . Gloves - Short CE certified from Halvarssons. Halvarssons and Revit gear is now ALL CE2. Pricey but good.

Finally a run of the mill waterproof outer shell. Simple. My Jacket is made by Bering (I had need of a Jacket in the UK and that's what was on offer) - Pants I discovered I had a pair of 3layer Goretex Mountaineering pants sat in it's wrapper - They fit over the Buell pants so perfect. Wet Gloves - Triumph branded waterproof/lined gloves. Ideally the Jacket would be similar - but I do not see enough rain here to justify the cost (to me). My waterproofs are packed in the top case all year.

Basically the only thing that could bulk up my cases is the lined Buffalo shirt.

In the past I have carried 2 sets of gear (warm/dry and cold/wet) and it is simply impractical. And that's what most of us do - "Ooh I need a good vented Jacket" - And "Ooh I need a good warm/waterproof Jacket". Both usually are either too cool or too warm.

If I thought it was going to be VERY HOT (by that I mean hours riding above the mid 30's °C) I would add a cooling vest to the pack. I will NOT be taking one with me next month.

Boots. OK a bit of a compromise - but I do suffer from my feet getting cold so I will use tall lined and goretex hunting boots from Chiruca in Spain and also wear Sealskinz merino lined goretex lined socks - knee length. But I will have other walking boots for casual use any way which I also use on the bikes. So it's not extra gear.

I know the above will work from 0°C to over 40°C - dry to extreme rainstorm

Just some thoughts. May be they are of use - maybe not.

Remember in my youth jumping on the bike and heading to France with just my Levi jacket and a toothbrush lol

when you leave in the morning all bulked up with clothes, just wear an empty backpack to put the stuff in on the way home.
I had to eventually make myself an insulated poncho out of that material that is used to protect your dashboard in your car. you know the stuff, air bubbles with shiny foil on one side? I cut it out to go over my head, wrap a little around my sides, and then I put a double thick layer on the chest duct taped to it, so that the chest was 3 layers thick. man, that stuff feels like a heating pad it keeps you so warm. but it's bulky on the way home from work, hence the backpack.

and always topped off with windproof suit.

Back